Majority Leader Fitzgerald Reacts to Governor Evers Signing the Wisconsin Budget
"I want to thank Governor Evers for signing the budget into law today, including fully embracing the middle-class tax cut."
[Madison, WI] — On Wednesday, Governor Tony Evers signed the Wisconsin budget, passed by Republicans in the Legislature last week. Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald released the following statement in reaction to the governor’s action:
“I want to thank Governor Evers for signing the budget into law today, including fully embracing the middle-class tax cut. This budget targets state investments more responsibly and spends $2 billion less than the governor’s original plan.
“I’m relieved to know that schools throughout the state will have certainty as to what resources are available to them as they begin putting their budgets together for the upcoming school year – including an increase in special education funding. All told, we’re spending more actual dollars on K-12 education than ever before in state history.
“It appears that the biggest lack of communication that existed during the budget process is between the governor and legislators from his own party. Many items supported by Republicans and signed into law by the governor today were opposed by Senate Democrats on the floor just last week.
“I want to thank Speaker Vos, Representative Nygren, Senator Darling, and the rest of the Senate Republican caucus for getting this budget done on schedule. Our goal was to put forward a budget for all of Wisconsin in a timely manner, and we delivered. This is a good budget for Wisconsin.”
Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) represents the 13th Senate District, which covers portions of Dodge, Jefferson, Waukesha, Washington, Dane, and Columbia counties.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- State Budget Fell Short on Highways? - Laurel White - Jul 8th, 2019
- Rep. LaKeshia Myers Supports Governor Evers’ Partial Vetoes - State Rep. LaKeshia Myers - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Statement: Wisconsin’s biennial budget will speed up transition to electric vehicles and improve public transit - WISPIRG Foundation - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Majority Leader Fitzgerald Reacts to Governor Evers Signing the Wisconsin Budget - U.S. Rep. Scott Fitzgerald - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Evers Uses 78 Partial Vetoes on Budget - Laurel White - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Rep. Bowen Statement on Gov. Evers’ Signing of Biennial Budget - State Rep. David Bowen - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Promises Made, Promises Kept: Gov. Evers Signs Wisconsin’s 2019-21 Biennial Budget into Law - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 3rd, 2019
- Budget Bill The Shortest in Decades - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2019
- Op Ed: Budget Should Plan For the Future - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Jun 29th, 2019
- Majority Leader Fitzgerald Statement on the Passage of the Wisconsin Budget - U.S. Rep. Scott Fitzgerald - Jun 26th, 2019
Read more about 2019-2021 Wisconsin Budget here