The Devastating Results of Residency Law Change
Under Barrett's watch, too many city employees moved out to the suburbs, and even outside of Milwaukee county.
MILWAUKEE, WI. — Yesterday, JSOnline reports that the effect of change in residency laws has been devastating for property taxpayers and homeowners of the city of Milwaukee. No one bears responsibility for this more than Tom Barrett. His failure to show leadership on the residency law is the reason Milwaukee needs a change in City Hall. Public employees of the city should live in the city.
Under Barrett’s watch, too many city employees moved out to the suburbs, and even outside of Milwaukee county. This has created not only a crisis financially for Milwaukee, but also a safety risk for Milwaukee residents.
“For years, Barrett pounded on the table in Madison calling the end of the residency requirement wrong, yet as Mayor, he has appointed a non-resident to our the BOZA chairmanship. The 15 years of hypocrisy in the Barrett administration has been horrific for a large percentage of Milwaukeeans, and his position as Mayor is coming to an end.”
It’s severely damaging to the taxpayers of Milwaukee that the police and firefighters in our community who receive very generous and well-earned pensions don’t even pay property taxes to support those pensions if they’ve moved out of the city.
Tom Barrett has said nothing and done nothing to stop the bleeding as this crisis has mushroomed. Now the pension costs threaten to overtake our city budget as demonstrated by the press coverage and debate over the recently passed 2020 budget.
This is a crisis! The only way we change and move Milwaukee forward is with a new mayor.
It is my position, that all of Barrett’s Blunders are centered around the corruption and the incompetence of city hall, and that’s why I’m calling for a change. That’s why I’m a candidate for mayor.
I ask for the Milwaukee press to join me today, Friday, November 15th, 2019, at 11:45 am on the Northeast corner of Wells and Water Street to discuss this issue and my plan to put Milwaukee residents first.
Lena Taylor for Mayor
More about the 2020 Mayoral Race
- 9 Election Takeaways - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 19th, 2020
- Vote Tuesday: Mayoral Candidates - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Presenting the “Real State of the City” - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2020
- State of the Other City Address - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Feb 10th, 2020
- Barrett dodges debate? - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Feb 9th, 2020
- Slow To Question, Slow To Respond - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 30th, 2020
- City Hall: Meet the Candidates for City Offices - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Conservative in Mayor Race Ejected - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Taylor Blames FPC Problems on Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2019
- Senator Taylor calls for Barrett to resign over confusion and mismanagement of Fire and Police Commission - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Dec 5th, 2019
- Team Taylor Welcomes Tom To The 2020 Mayoral Race - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Nov 20th, 2019
- City Hall: Barrett Officially Declares Re-Election Bid - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2019
- Statement from the Barrett for Milwaukee Campaign: Lena Taylor’s Misinformation Campaign - Press Release - Nov 15th, 2019
- City Hall: Taylor Slams Barrett Over Residency - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 15th, 2019
- The Devastating Results of Residency Law Change - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Nov 15th, 2019
- Back in the News: Poll Shows Barrett Way Ahead - Bruce Murphy - Nov 12th, 2019
- City Hall: Zielinski for Mayor Bus Ads Debut - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2019
- City Hall: Ashanti Hamilton Ends Mayoral Bid - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- City Hall: Hamilton Could Still Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Hall: Lena Taylor Announces Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 3rd, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Should Barrett Worry About Reelection? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 29th, 2019
- City Hall: Will He or Won’t He Run for Mayor? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 30th, 2019
- City Hall: Will Lena Taylor Run for Mayor? - Jeramey Jannene - May 20th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Beat: Episode 007 – Mayoral Candidate Tony Zielinski - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 8th, 2019
- City Hall: Hamilton Ally May Run for His Seat - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2018
- City Hall: Ashanti Hamilton Files for Mayoral Run - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2018
- City Hall: Zielinski Ramps Up Mayoral Campaign - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 10th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Barrett Will Run for Reelection - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Zielinski Will Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2017
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Lena Taylor
Senator Taylor calls for Barrett to resign over confusion and mismanagement of Fire and Police CommissionDec 5th, 2019 by State Sen. Lena Taylor
Police community relations continue to deteriorate and there is a serious lack of transparency with the FPC and no real dialogue between the board, executive director and the people of Milwaukee.