MPD Chief Morales and FPC Chairman DeVougas deserve removal
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa August 6, 2020
As a Milwaukeean first, and now as a freshman Milwaukee Alderwoman, I have watched the drama unfold for years at the Fire and Police Commission.
It is true that I supported Chief Alfonso Morales when he was first appointed under former FPC Chair Marisabel Cabrera. Then, for his appointment to a full four-year term, I supported Chief Morales, again.
But today, I can no longer support Chief Morales.
It has also become clear to me that I cannot support current FPC chairman, Steven DeVougas. Just as public trust has been lost with Chief Morales, so too, has it been lost with Mr. DeVougas. The word of his alleged violations of the city’s ethics code has permeated our city and his refusal to shed light and answer questions requested by the very body he chairs is simply unacceptable.
So today, I ask my colleagues and Mayor Barrett to join me in calling for the removal of both Chief Alfonso Morales and FPC Chairman Steven DeVougas.
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Feb 15th, 2021
- City Hall: DeVougas Resigns From Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 15th, 2021
- City Hall: FPC Members, City Attorney Blew Off Inspector General Interview Requests - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 15th, 2021
- City Hall: Attorney Didn’t Want Inspector General Report Made Public - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2021
- City Hall: Council Confirms Avalos, Adds Tie-Breaking Vote to Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 19th, 2021
- City Hall: City Attorney Issues Confidential Opinion Regarding Morales Demotion - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Rejects Ann Wilson’s FPC Reappointment - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2021
- Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office Completes FPC Background Investigation - Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office - Jan 7th, 2021
- FPC should halt selection of new police chief - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Mayor Barrett Is Asleep At The Switch - Jordan Morales - Dec 26th, 2020
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa
Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa February 5, 2021
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa January 26, 2021