MPD Chief Morales and FPC Chairman DeVougas deserve removal
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa August 6, 2020
As a Milwaukeean first, and now as a freshman Milwaukee Alderwoman, I have watched the drama unfold for years at the Fire and Police Commission.
It is true that I supported Chief Alfonso Morales when he was first appointed under former FPC Chair Marisabel Cabrera. Then, for his appointment to a full four-year term, I supported Chief Morales, again.
But today, I can no longer support Chief Morales.
It has also become clear to me that I cannot support current FPC chairman, Steven DeVougas. Just as public trust has been lost with Chief Morales, so too, has it been lost with Mr. DeVougas. The word of his alleged violations of the city’s ethics code has permeated our city and his refusal to shed light and answer questions requested by the very body he chairs is simply unacceptable.
So today, I ask my colleagues and Mayor Barrett to join me in calling for the removal of both Chief Alfonso Morales and FPC Chairman Steven DeVougas.
- Former FPC Chairman Steven DeVougas Headlines Newsmaker Lunch Hour - Milwaukee Press Club - Sep 3rd, 2020
- City Hall: Morales Starts Process To Sue City - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 21st, 2020
- Latinx Community Divided Over Morales’ Exit - Edgar Mendez - Aug 20th, 2020
- Milwaukee has an opportunity to usher in lasting change - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 9th, 2020
- It’s time for the MPD and FPC to move forward - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Aug 7th, 2020
- Police Chief Alfonso Morales Demoted - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 6th, 2020
- Broken Systems, Broken Promises - Steven M. DeVougas - Aug 6th, 2020
- MPD Chief Morales and FPC Chairman DeVougas deserve removal - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Aug 6th, 2020
- MPD Defends Tear Gas Use In New Video - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 5th, 2020
- City Hall: Will Chief Morales Sue The City If He’s Fired? - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 4th, 2020
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa
Statement of Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa September 2, 2020