Milwaukee Board of School Directors Votes to go to Referendum
A step toward getting schools our children deserve
MILWAUKEE, WI (December 20) — The Milwaukee Board of School Directors took a historic first step toward going to referendum for only the second time in MPS existence.
The board voted to authorize a referendum question to appear on the spring election ballot April 7, 2020.
Board directors also voted last night to ask voters for a four year phase-in revenue limit increase for a total of $87 million dollars. A recent poll showed 60% of the respondents supported a referendum request for $107 million however, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors took a position of maximizing benefits for students while minimizing the financial impact on taxpayers.
The estimated calculated tax impact for homeowners is $160 per $100,000 assessed property value.
MPS believes its students deserve the best, and the additional revenue will help the district eliminate the disparities in educational opportunities and outcomes.
Currently, the district has been operating on a relatively flat state-imposed revenue limit that restricts its ability to meet the needs of its students. The increase in revenue limit through passage of the referendum will put MPS more in line with neighboring school districts.
This will be the first time in 25 years MPS has gone to referendum. And Milwaukee Public School is ready to continue the work of communicating to the public the importance of this financial investment in our future leaders.
The MPS referendum question will appear in the spring election, April 7, 2020
- Near-Record Year for School Referendums - Madeline Fox - Apr 15th, 2020
- Data Wonk: Why The MPS Referendum Is Needed - Bruce Thompson - Mar 11th, 2020
- Op Ed: Why I’m Canvassing for MPS - Chloe Smith - Feb 26th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Poll Shows Surprising Support for MPS - Bruce Murphy - Feb 12th, 2020
- The Educator: The Rationale for MPS Referendum - Terry Falk - Jan 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee Board of School Directors Votes to go to Referendum - Milwaukee Public Schools - Dec 20th, 2019
- Questions for Milwaukee teachers’ union on poll results - Milwaukee Works, Inc. - Dec 12th, 2019
- Op Ed: Say Yes To MPS Referendum - Julie Rowley - Dec 5th, 2019
- Data Wonk: Would MPS Referendum Pass? Should it? - Bruce Thompson - Aug 7th, 2019
Read more about Proposed MPS Referendum here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Labs will serve as a place for MPS students to learn STEM-based problem-solving skills
Superintendent increases support for schools
Milwaukee Bucks player Khris Middleton and the Joseph and Vera Zibler Family Trust Fund partner to support Milwaukee Public Schools students and familiesApr 22nd, 2020 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Matching donations lead MPS Foundation's effort for COVID-19 relief