Fifth and Final Milwaukee Streetcar Vehicle Due to Arrive Tomorrow
Short portions of W. St. Paul Ave. will be closed for a few hours to accommodate delivery.
Milwaukee – The fifth and final streetcar vehicle for the first phase of The Hop, presented by Potawatomi Hotel & Casino, is expected to arrive in Milwaukee this Friday, Sept. 7, at approximately 10:00 a.m.
The modern, 67-foot long, 83,000-pound streetcar vehicle will travel from the plant in Brookville, Penn., through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois before arriving in Milwaukee.
While it is projected that the vehicle will arrive on Friday at 10:00 a.m., this schedule could change depending on weather conditions or other circumstances during the drive. It will be rolled off the truck on W. St. Paul Ave. between N. Third St. and Vel R. Phillips Ave., and then head inside the streetcar’s adjacent operations and maintenance facility.
Short portions of W. St. Paul Ave. will be closed for a few hours to accommodate delivery. Media and others are welcome to watch delivery and unloading from the south side of W. St. Paul Ave. Please set up on the sidewalk, not in the street.
On-street testing of The Hop will continue in the coming weeks leading up to the launch of operations this fall. With more streetcars on the road testing, the public is advised to continue following some basic “HopSmart” tips on how motorists, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians can all share our roadways. Visit www.thehopmke.com/hopsmart for more information.
A date for the grand opening of The Hop will be announced in the coming weeks. Rides will be free for the first year, thanks to Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s generous 12-year, $10 million sponsorship deal.
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Kiosks Could Bring In $500,000 Annually - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 20th, 2020
- Thanks A Million, Hop Riders! - The Hop - Feb 19th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in January Versus 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in December - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 14th, 2020
- Transportation: Ridership Falls for The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 16th, 2019
- Transportation: The “Holiday Hop” Streetcar Debuts - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2019
- No money for police, lead hazard issues or infrastructure, but let’s pump up the streetcar we can’t afford - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Nov 1st, 2019
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
Meter enforcement, smart meter parking rate change take effect Tuesday June 23, 2020
Amid COVID-19 concerns, the app allows people to avoid touching the meter and pay for parking on their mobile device
Timed (non-metered), alternate-side parking, night parking permits still not required