Bastille Days, Milwaukee’s free French fest, kicks off thursday.
Bastille Days is presented by the East Town Association
Bastille Days, Milwaukee’s free French fest, kicks off tomorrow. Highlights for opening day include:
- Sweet treats starting at noon with free cake at Cathedral Square Park, compliments of Metro Market, 1123 N. Van Buren St. This year’s cake masterpiece will be inspired by the Mona Lisa at The Louvre. Cake will be sliced and served in the center of the park to the first 1,000 attendees.
- Live music beginning with Stubby Chubbz Brass Band at 11:45 a.m. on the Cathedral Square Stage and Madame Gigi’s Outrageous French Cancan Dancers at noon on the Gruber Law Offices – “One Call…That’s All” Stage. Milwaukee’s own The Aluar Pearls will headline at 9:15 p.m. on the main stage.
- More than 5,000 runners and walkers hitting the streets at 9 p.m. for the 31st annual BMO Harris Bank Storm the Bastille. Participants in the 5K run/2-mile walk will be led through the streets downtown and the Historic Third Ward, beginning at the corner of Jefferson and Wells streets.
- Chef demonstrations with Chef Jacob Schick of Maxie’s at noon, Owner/Executive Chef Joseph A. Zankl of The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn at 12:50 p.m. and Chef de Cuisine Micah Kaufman of Café Calatrava at 1:40 p.m. There will also be a Kronenbourg history overview and tasting at 2:30 p.m. and BeerMasters demo at 3 p.m., as well as tastings led by Door County Distillery at 3:40 p.m. Catch all the demonstrations and tastings at the Madison Medical Affiliates Stage.
- Mayor Tom Barrett unveiling Milwaukee Brewing Co.’s exclusive ale created just for Bastille Days at 5:30 p.m. at the Madison Medical Affiliates Stage. The ceremonial tapping will offer an up-close look at the brew’s firkin keg, plus free samples for of-age spectators.
- Mini French lessons by the Alliance Française de Milwaukee at the Door Peninsula Winery Stage at 12:45 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 5:20 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Roaming minstrels, chalk artists, Madame Gigi’s Outrageous French Cancan Dancers, jugglers, mimes and other street-level performers will rove the grounds throughout the four-day celebration.
- An international marketplace with 90+ vendors selling art, clothing and accessories. The Alliance Française de Milwaukee Cultural Tent will also offer gifts such as Provencal fabrics, soaps, cards and art.
- The area’s best French, Cajun and American fare at over 25 on-site restaurants.
Bastille Days is presented by the East Town Association, Inc., a nonprofit downtown Milwaukee business organization that has celebrated Bastille Days in Milwaukee since 1981. Proceeds from the festival are returned to the community through neighborhood improvement programs and civic events such as the popular Jazz in the Park and East Town Market. Bastille Days is free and open to the public.
Festival hours are: Thursday – Saturday, July 9 – 11, 11 a.m. – 11:30 p.m., with 10 a.m. breakfast on Saturday
Sunday, July 12, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by East Town Association
The streetcar’s social media presence to take on a French theme during the festival, while special themed performances will occur at stations and on board the vehicles