Alderman Donovan asks for change in MPD vehicle pursuit policy
Current ‘no chase’ policy is emboldening criminals, Alderman Donovan says
The alderman said the current policy, put in place by Chief Flynn in 2010, is having a negative effect on public safety across the city. Mayor Tom Barrett, MPD Chief of Staff Joel Plant, and members of the Fire and Police Commission were copied on the letter.
Alderman Donovan said police sources have indicated to him that in the first three months of 2015 alone, approximately 750 instances where vehicles would have been pursued under the former pursuit policy have occurred. “These criminals are literally thumbing their noses and flipping off officers as they drive off, knowing that officers will not pursue them,” the alderman said.
In the letter, Alderman Donovan writes: “Incidents of vehicle theft have risen alarmingly on the near south side in recent months and police officers inform me that this is due in large part to thieves knowing that they will not be pursued. Frankly, this outcome was as predictable as it is logical and I said so publicly at the time this directive was issued. Further, I need not remind you of the deaths, injuries, and accidents that have resulted from this rise in vehicle thefts.”
More about the Pursuit Policy
- Murphy’s Law: Should Cops Do More High Speed Chases? - Bruce Murphy - May 26th, 2017
- Kansas City, KS reverses pursuit policy to address “skyrocketing crime - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 15th, 2017
- Fire and Police Commission Releases Report on Police Vehicle Pursuits - City of Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission - May 10th, 2017
- Thirteen Council members demand action from MPD, FPC - Ald. Bob Donovan - Apr 20th, 2017
- James Methu’s Statement on Public Safety in Milwaukee - James Methu - Jan 25th, 2016
- Skyrocketing auto thefts a symptom of larger issues - Ald. Bob Donovan - Nov 4th, 2015
- Chief’s comments outrageous - Ald. Bob Donovan - Jul 20th, 2015
- Alderman Donovan asks for change in MPD vehicle pursuit policy - Ald. Bob Donovan - Apr 7th, 2015
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Bob Donovan
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan - May 23, 2018
The officers responded to a call for help concerning an out-of-control individual who appeared to be under the influence of drugs and/or mentally disturbed.
Media advisory and letter from Alderman Bob Donovan and Alderman Mark A. Borkowski