AG Kaul Statement on Kenosha Shooting
August 26, 2020
MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul today released the following statement regarding the shooting that occurred in Kenosha on the evening of August 25, 2020:
“The violence and destruction that took place in Kenosha last night was despicable. While the two people who were killed and the person who was injured by gunfire have not yet been identified, we are thinking of their destroyed futures and their friends and families that must live with this overwhelming grief.
Kenosha residents deserve the opportunity to grieve, come together, peacefully protest, call for change, and heal. The heavily armed vigilantes, arsonists, and other opportunists who have come to Kenosha to attempt to spur chaos have interfered with that and caused drastic harm to people. If those engaging in violence and destruction of property believe they are furthering some broader goal, they are wrong. They should leave Kenosha.
Times like this call for our leaders to unify people. We must come together, in good faith, to work toward positive change. Sowing division can be deadly, and we must condemn those—especially those at the highest level of government—who seek to do so.
While those who seek to divide people may have the biggest megaphones and attract the most attention, they do not speak for the vast majority of us who seek greater unity, common ground, and justice.”
- Lawsuit Targets Rittenhouse, Militia, Facebook - Madeline Fox - Sep 23rd, 2020
- NLG Condemns Biased and Unprofessional Policing by Kenosha Police and Sheriff’s Departments - National Lawyers Guild, Milwaukee Chapter - Sep 16th, 2020
- Did Kenosha Cops Push Protesters Toward Militia? - Dee J. Hall - Sep 6th, 2020
- Kenosha Officials on Trump, Protests, Police - Erik Gunn and Henry Redman - Sep 1st, 2020
- DPW Vice-Chair Felesia Martin Calls out Trump’s Chaos as He Refuses to Condemn Kenosha Shooter - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 31st, 2020
- Kenosha Union Representatives Blast Trump Ahead of Tomorrow’s Photo-Op - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 31st, 2020
- Op Ed: Kenosha Is Charlottesville - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Aug 31st, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Will Kenosha Unrest Help Trump Win State? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 31st, 2020
- Don’t Come to Kenosha, Evers Tells Trump - Ruth Conniff - Aug 31st, 2020
- Kenosha Shooter Will Claim Self-Defense - Alyssa Allemand - Aug 31st, 2020
Read more about Kenosha Shooting here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Josh Kaul
AG Kaul Announces Cleanup Agreement for Wisconsin Public Service Corporation Superfund Site in MarinetteSep 21st, 2020 by Josh Kaul
September 21, 2020
September 17, 2020