Early Recount Has Small Gain for Trump
With half the votes recounted in Dane and Milwaukee counties, 57 more votes for Trump.
In Milwaukee County, Biden has gained three votes and Trump has lost six. In Dane County, Biden has lost 81 votes and Trump has lost 15.
In total, the recount process has closed the gap by 57 votes.
As of Tuesday morning, when a box with 386 sealed ballots was discovered, the City of Milwaukee was on track to report at least 450 new ballots when its totals come in. Milwaukee workers are counting all absentee ballots before in-person ballots, leading to a delay in the city’s reporting.
Similar to election night, the city will report last.
Biden led Trump by 20,608 votes across Wisconsin and 182,913 votes in Milwaukee County in advance of the recount. Past recounts in Wisconsin have seen little change in the results. A 2016 statewide recount changed the presidential results by just 131 votes.
Reasons for the changes in this recount can vary. Milwaukee County suburbs have had votes added or struck in the recount due to such issues as missing witness signatures or unclear intent, as clerks have brought the issues to the county commission for a ruling.
In Dane County 124,825 ballots have been recounted and reported so far. In Milwaukee County the total is 117,798.
Approximately 800,000 ballots will be recounted by the two counties.
A similar objection is being made by Trump officials in Dane County.
The work, under state law, must be finished by December 1st. County Clerk George L. Christenson has repeatedly said it will be completed on time, despite delays, and no voters will be disenfranchised.
The state results report is available from Urban Milwaukee.
Of Milwaukee County’s 19 municipalities, Bayside, Brown Deer, Greendale, Hales Corners, Wauwatosa and West Milwaukee have finished recounting. West Allis, Whitefish Bay, Glendale and South Milwaukee have finished all work except for machine processing the ballots.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Vos Backtracks on Election Audit - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2021
- Statement on Recent Election Misinformation - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Jul 27th, 2021
- State Elections Chair Wants Arizona-Style Audit - Melanie Conklin - Jul 27th, 2021
- Data Wonk: The Private Election Grants Didn’t Help Biden - Bruce Thompson - Jun 16th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: How Vos Pushes The Big Lie - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2021
- Hesselbein Votes No to Republican Private Investigators - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - May 28th, 2021
- Robin Vos Wasting Taxpayer Resources To Investigate Non-Existent Voter Fraud - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission to Discuss Suspected Voter Fraud Reports for 2020 and 2021 Elections - Wisconsin Elections Commission - May 24th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here