Early Recount Has Small Gain for Trump
With half the votes recounted in Dane and Milwaukee counties, 57 more votes for Trump.
In Milwaukee County, Biden has gained three votes and Trump has lost six. In Dane County, Biden has lost 81 votes and Trump has lost 15.
In total, the recount process has closed the gap by 57 votes.
As of Tuesday morning, when a box with 386 sealed ballots was discovered, the City of Milwaukee was on track to report at least 450 new ballots when its totals come in. Milwaukee workers are counting all absentee ballots before in-person ballots, leading to a delay in the city’s reporting.
Similar to election night, the city will report last.
Biden led Trump by 20,608 votes across Wisconsin and 182,913 votes in Milwaukee County in advance of the recount. Past recounts in Wisconsin have seen little change in the results. A 2016 statewide recount changed the presidential results by just 131 votes.
Reasons for the changes in this recount can vary. Milwaukee County suburbs have had votes added or struck in the recount due to such issues as missing witness signatures or unclear intent, as clerks have brought the issues to the county commission for a ruling.
In Dane County 124,825 ballots have been recounted and reported so far. In Milwaukee County the total is 117,798.
Approximately 800,000 ballots will be recounted by the two counties.
A similar objection is being made by Trump officials in Dane County.
The work, under state law, must be finished by December 1st. County Clerk George L. Christenson has repeatedly said it will be completed on time, despite delays, and no voters will be disenfranchised.
The state results report is available from Urban Milwaukee.
Of Milwaukee County’s 19 municipalities, Bayside, Brown Deer, Greendale, Hales Corners, Wauwatosa and West Milwaukee have finished recounting. West Allis, Whitefish Bay, Glendale and South Milwaukee have finished all work except for machine processing the ballots.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here