State Declares Biden Won Election
With recounts finished, Wisconsin Elections Commission's chair signed the official determination, and Gov. Evers certified the results.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission met today and Chairperson Ann Jacobs signed the determination of the presidential election following the recounts in Milwaukee and Dane counties, and shortly after Gov. Tony Evers certified the results.
After the recount, former Vice President Joe Biden picked up 87 votes, beating President Donald Trump by 20,695 votes in the state.
Milwaukee and Dane counties finished their recounts on Friday and Sunday respectively.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission prepares a statement of canvass based upon the certified results from all 72 counties in the state. When Jacobs signed it, the document became “the official state determination of the results of the Nov 3rd, 2020 Election and the Canvass,” she said. The final state canvas gave Biden a 20,682 vote margin.
As outlined in state and federal law, the next step in the process is for the signed determination to go to the Governor’s office, who certifies the election and signs off on the presidential electors, who will meet in two weeks and cast their votes for the winning candidate.
In a statement Evers said, “Today I carried out my duty to certify the November 3rd election, and as required by state and federal law, I’ve signed the Certificate of Ascertainment for the slate of electors for President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.”
This has always been the process for awarding votes to a presidential candidate, during every election in Wisconsin, regardless of which political party was in power.
It is a formal decision that provides the parties of the recount something to appeal. A statement from the elections commission said the determination “allows President Trump’s campaign to exercise the five-day recount appeal rights” granted under state statute.
The Trump campaign and the president himself have already indicated they will file a lawsuit to challenge the results of the election.
The elections commission will certify the results of all the other contests on the November 3 ballot on Tuesday, December 1st.
More about the 2020 General Election
- Report Calls For Criminally Charging State’s Fake Electors - Henry Redman - Dec 19th, 2022
- Vos Withdraws Subpoenas, Ends Gableman Probe - Henry Redman - Aug 30th, 2022
- Judge Blasts Gableman Probe, Deleted Records - Henry Redman - Aug 17th, 2022
- Vos Fires Gableman, Ends Election Probe - Shawn Johnson - Aug 14th, 2022
- Judge Orders Gableman To Pay $163,000 In Legal Fees - Rich Kremer - Aug 2nd, 2022
- Prosecute 2020 Fake Electors, Advocates Demand - Erik Gunn - Aug 1st, 2022
- Trump Calls For Nullification of Wisconsin’s 2020 Election - Henry Redman - Jul 12th, 2022
- Legal Fight Over Gableman Probe Keeps Growing - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2022
- Back In the News: Fake Elector Scheme Dogs Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2022
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
More about the Presidential Recount
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here