State Declares Biden Won Election
With recounts finished, Wisconsin Elections Commission's chair signed the official determination, and Gov. Evers certified the results.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission met today and Chairperson Ann Jacobs signed the determination of the presidential election following the recounts in Milwaukee and Dane counties, and shortly after Gov. Tony Evers certified the results.
Milwaukee and Dane counties finished their recounts on Friday and Sunday respectively.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission prepares a statement of canvass based upon the certified results from all 72 counties in the state. When Jacobs signed it, the document became “the official state determination of the results of the Nov 3rd, 2020 Election and the Canvass,” she said. The final state canvas gave Biden a 20,682 vote margin.
As outlined in state and federal law, the next step in the process is for the signed determination to go to the Governor’s office, who certifies the election and signs off on the presidential electors, who will meet in two weeks and cast their votes for the winning candidate.
In a statement Evers said, “Today I carried out my duty to certify the November 3rd election, and as required by state and federal law, I’ve signed the Certificate of Ascertainment for the slate of electors for President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.”
This has always been the process for awarding votes to a presidential candidate, during every election in Wisconsin, regardless of which political party was in power.
It is a formal decision that provides the parties of the recount something to appeal. A statement from the elections commission said the determination “allows President Trump’s campaign to exercise the five-day recount appeal rights” granted under state statute.
The Trump campaign and the president himself have already indicated they will file a lawsuit to challenge the results of the election.
The elections commission will certify the results of all the other contests on the November 3 ballot on Tuesday, December 1st.
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here