Rittenhouse Extradited to Wisconsin
Illinois judge grants request. 17-year-old faces homicide charges in Kenosha shooting.
An Illinois judge has granted prosecutors’ request to extradite 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse to Wisconsin, where he faces homicide charges for allegedly shooting three protesters in Kenosha, killing two of them.
Rittenhouse traveled to Kenosha from his home in Antioch, Illinois, and walked the city that night armed with an AR-15 rifle, during the unrest that followed the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man. He joined others carrying guns who said they were there to guard private businesses, several of which had been burned in the days following the shooting.
Judge Paul Novak did not address those arguments Friday, ruling only that Rittenhouse could be extradited.
“According to Illinois law, this Illinois court shall not determine if Rittenhouse has a valid self-defense argument for the Wisconsin charges,” Novak wrote. “These are matters that can be raised in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, through pre-trial proceedings or during trial.”
One of Rittenhouse’s attorneys has previously raised the possibility of appealing the decision to extradite.
Illinois Judge Approves Extradition Of Kyle Rittenhouse To Wisconsin was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Rittenhouse Trial Pushed to November - Corri Hess - Mar 10th, 2021
- Judge Denies New Arrest Warrant For Rittenhouse - Corri Hess - Feb 11th, 2021
- Rittenhouse Bond Is Modified - Henry Redman - Jan 26th, 2021
- Prosecutors Want Court to Ban Rittenhouse from Bars - Corri Hess - Jan 14th, 2021
- Kenosha DA Won’t Charge Cops in Blake Shooting - Corri Hess - Jan 5th, 2021
- Rittenhouse Will Stand Trial on All Charges - Megan Hart - Dec 3rd, 2020
- Rittenhouse Released on $2 Million Bail - Graham Kilmer - Nov 20th, 2020
- Man Charged With Buying Gun for Rittenhouse - Isiah Holmes - Nov 11th, 2020
- Rittenhouse Bond Set at $2 Million - Isiah Holmes - Nov 3rd, 2020
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to Provide Answers After Facebook Failed to Promptly Remove Event Calling for Violence in Kenosha - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 2nd, 2020
Read more about Kenosha Shooting here