Bucks Planning Sports Bar for Live Block
Located next to Good City Brewing, but the name is unknown. We have some suggestions.
The Milwaukee Bucks entertainment block will have at least one sports bar.
Referred to as “sports bar” in city permits, the tavern would be the fifth establishment in the entertainment block located across the plaza from Fiserv Forum.
Good City Brewing opened last weekend and will soon be joined by Punch Bowl Social and Drink Wisconsinbly Pub. A small, team-owned bar, dubbed “The Beer Garden,” opened last year to provide drinks for those watching games or other televised events on the massive screen in the alley connecting the plaza with N. Old World Third St.
Permits on file with the city list a variety of spaces planned for the unnamed establishment, including a theater dining room, viewing deck, skybox dining room and private dining room. The bar will share a second-story patio with Good City Brewing.
City permits do not list another operator for space, indicating that an affiliated-entity of the team will operate the tavern. The building at 333 W. Juneau Ave. is owned by MKE BLK41 LLC, which lists the Bucks’ Schlitz Park offices as its address.
When asked about the bar, a team spokesperson declined to comment.
No entity has applied for a liquor license at the address, potentially indicating the tenant will use the team’s blanket license that covers the arena and plaza. That license is held by arena concessionaire Levy Restaurants. Separate licenses exist for Punch Bowl Social and Drink Wisconsinbly. Good City does not have a liquor license and is permitted under state regulations for breweries.
Given that no name is listed on the permits and the team has declined to comment on what it will be, I have seven Bucks-themed names to suggest:
- Fear the Beer
- The Big Dobber (retired Buck Bob Lanier‘s nickname)
- The Mecca Tap (why not a nod to the team’s onetime home?)
- Kareem Abdul Da Bar (it’s surprisingly hard to make Lew Alcindor into a bar name)
- Johnny Mac’s (honoring the original Buck, Jon McGlocklin)
- Bucks in Six
- The Smoothe Shack (we need at least one reference to Giannis Antetokounmpo)
More businesses are still likely for the entertainment center. A tenant for the small building the team’s real estate affiliate constructed along N. Old World Third St. has yet to be announced. A third building approved for the south end of the Entertainment Block, near W. Highland Ave., has yet to be constructed.
Photos and Renderings
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Op Ed: County Parks Lost Funding to Bucks Arena - Patricia Jursik - Jul 7th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Fiserv Forum Workers to Get $15/Hour - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Beat Hiring Targets on Fiserv Forum - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Taxpayers Make Bucks, Brewers Rich - Bruce Murphy - Apr 16th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Master Plan for Park East - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Plan Massive Arena Signs - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks’ New Bar Is “The MECCA” - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Planning Sports Bar for Live Block - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 24th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Inside Good City Brewing’s New Taproom - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 23rd, 2019
- Good City Brewing Opens At Fiserv Forum - Jennifer Rick - Jan 22nd, 2019
Read more about New Bucks Arena here