County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site
Supervisors cite lack of progress on county-owned lakefront land.
A handful of members of the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors suggested this week that the county explore new development partners for The Couture site while the project is stalled waiting for financing to come through.
The site, at 909 E. Michigan St., is intended to be transformed into a 44-story apartment tower containing approximately 300 units.
While Barrett Lo Visionary Development waits on its application for a loan guarantee from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Supervisors John Weishan, Jr. and Marcelia Nicholson commented this week on a closing window for development and the county potentially “doing something” if the project doesn’t get underway. The sale agreement allows the county to take the site back if construction didn’t start by February 2018, Tom Daykin reported in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
“We’ve been very patient for a very long time,” said Weishan. Barrett Lo paid $500,000 to acquire the approximately two-acre parcel.
Barrett Lo did demolish the former Downtown Transit Center, clearing the site for the tower, but has yet to start construction on the project because of financing issues.
$1.3 million grant going into Near West Side Public Housing
A $1.3 million federal grant was awarded to Marquette University and Northwest Side Partners in partnership with the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee (HACM) to study and plan for rehabilitation and redevelopment of the College Court public housing complex at 3334 W. Highland Blvd.
HACM executive director Tony Perez said the grant will leave the authority better positioned to apply for a larger $30 million federal grant to redevelop College Court. HACM is looking at the project to be similar to Westlawn’s redevelopment, which was funded in part with a $30 million Choice Neighborhoods grant, Sean Ryan reported in the Milwaukee Business Journal.
In Other News:
- A proposed Bay View apartment project is igniting controversy
- Friday Photos documents the new BMO Harris project
- The new Ballet building has a name
- Ald. Zielinski proposing solar requirement for some new residential projects
- City Advances $8.1 Million TIF for Michels
Correction: The story originally incorrectly reported HACM as the grant awardee. The story has been updated to reflect that Marquette University and Northwest Side Partners are the grant awardees.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Couture
- Transportation: City Confident Couture Won’t Block Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 5th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - May 27th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - Mar 10th, 2019
- MKE County: County Committee Mollified on Couture - Graham Kilmer - Dec 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Cleared for Takeoff - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Still in Limbo - Graham Kilmer - Oct 21st, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Multiple Tower Groundbreakings in 2018 - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture Seeks Commercial Tenants - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Couture Sewer Subsidy - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture’s Surprise Sewer Being Moved - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves The Couture - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 18th, 2017
- Changes Made to Couture’s Design - Graham Kilmer - Apr 10th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Second Lakefront Tower Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Transit Center Tower Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 8th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Goodbye Downtown Transit Center - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture is Finally Happening - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2016
- New Front Door for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2013
- County Threatened With Lakefront Lawsuit - Dave Reid - Jul 24th, 2012
- Photo Gallery: The Couture Press Conference - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2012
- The Chatter: Abele vs County Board — Again - Bruce Murphy - Jul 12th, 2012
- 44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 11th, 2012