State Quietly Expands I-94 Project
Reconstruction of I-94 would extend 23% further into city, stretching east to 16th Street, WISDOT says.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation this week quietly moved the eastern boundary of the I-94 east-west reconstruction and expansion project from 25th St. to 16th St., extending the project by 23 percent.
WisDOT’s extension increases the project length from 2.85 miles to 3.5 miles, a increasing it by.65 miles. Cost figures were not included in the announcement, which was made in the Federal Register.
All of its I-94 reconstruction public outreach, including a total of eight public meetings, dealt with a project that ended at 25th St.
Said WisDOT in its Federal Register announcement: “Public involvement is a critical component of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) project development process and will continue to occur throughout the development of the EIS (environmental impact statement).”
The agency said the expanded project area “is in response to additional work necessary east of 25th Street to accommodate alternatives that would tie back into I-94 near 16th Street and better match the recently reconstructed Marquette Interchange.”
WisDOT did not explain why those two things were not considered since the start of the I-94 planning.
WisDOT said it would respond “soon” to inquiries about the expanded project area and has plans for new public outreach efforts.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
- Evers Considering Abandoned $1.1 Billion I-94 Expansion - Shawn Johnson - Jul 9th, 2020
- The Contrarian: Could Milwaukee Freeway Project Be Revived? - George Mitchell - Dec 31st, 2018
- The Contrarian: Call It The Walker Bottleneck - George Mitchell - Feb 19th, 2018
- The Contrarian: Ending Freeway Project Is Historic Blunder - George Mitchell - Nov 6th, 2017
- Streetsblog: The Man Who Beat the Highway Lobby - Angie Schmitt - Oct 13th, 2017
- The Contrarian: I-94 Cancellation Has Huge Impact - George Mitchell - Oct 6th, 2017
- Three Environmental Justice Groups Ask Court to Block I-94 Expansion - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Community Forum Urges WISDOT to Scrap I-94 Expansion - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Mar 31st, 2016
- With I-94 Decision Pending, State & Local Leaders Oppose Wasteful Expansion, Call for Smarter Local Investments - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Dec 9th, 2015
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here