State Quietly Expands I-94 Project
Reconstruction of I-94 would extend 23% further into city, stretching east to 16th Street, WISDOT says.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation this week quietly moved the eastern boundary of the I-94 east-west reconstruction and expansion project from 25th St. to 16th St., extending the project by 23 percent.
WisDOT’s extension increases the project length from 2.85 miles to 3.5 miles, a increasing it by.65 miles. Cost figures were not included in the announcement, which was made in the Federal Register.
All of its I-94 reconstruction public outreach, including a total of eight public meetings, dealt with a project that ended at 25th St.
Said WisDOT in its Federal Register announcement: “Public involvement is a critical component of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) project development process and will continue to occur throughout the development of the EIS (environmental impact statement).”
The agency said the expanded project area “is in response to additional work necessary east of 25th Street to accommodate alternatives that would tie back into I-94 near 16th Street and better match the recently reconstructed Marquette Interchange.”
WisDOT did not explain why those two things were not considered since the start of the I-94 planning.
WisDOT said it would respond “soon” to inquiries about the expanded project area and has plans for new public outreach efforts.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Op Ed: Rebuild I-94 in Milwaukee - John Raines, John Schmitt, Terry McGowan and Tony Mayrhofer - Feb 20th, 2021
- Coalition Opposes I-94 Expansion Project - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Feb 17th, 2021
- Construction Business Group Supports Governor Evers’ State Budget Proposal - Construction Business Group - Feb 17th, 2021
- Labor Leaders Voice Support For The I-94 East-West Corridor Project - Press Release - Feb 16th, 2021
- Transportation: Council Disagrees on I-94 Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2021
- Transportation: City Pushing Back On Interstate 94 Expansion, Not Reconstruction - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 1st, 2021
- Ald. Bauman introduces resolution directing the City to lobby against I-94 reconstruction - Ald. Bob Bauman - Jan 21st, 2021
- Transportation: Interstate 94 Expansion Gets Cold Reception at City Hall - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: We Oppose I-94 Expansion - Cassie Steiner, Gregg May, Megan Severson, Lester Williams and Cheryl Nenn - Nov 18th, 2020
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here