Talgo Location Choice a No-Brainer – Milwaukee
Talgo, the train manufacturer that is poised to open a plant in Wisconsin, has a really simple choice to make when it comes to where to locate. Currently the company is debating between Janesville and Milwaukee. Janesville appearing as an additional logical choice because of the empty General Motors facility that the state and city would open their pocket books to have occupied. Milwaukee’s in the running because it has an airport, the Port of Milwaukee, an extensive number of facilities with rail access, skilled work force, numerous entertainment and cultural activities, an existing passenger rail line, and plans for another one.
If you’re Antonio Perez, CEO of Talgo, it’s easy to see where you want to locate your company’s new assembly and maintenance facility. Milwaukee provides both land and water access for shipping in parts and personnel. Milwaukee also is actually on a passenger rail line, the Amtrak Hiawatha, where Talgo’s first Wisconsin order will go. Should Wisconsin get it’s stimulus request for the development of a Madison to Milwaukee line, Talgo’s second Wisconsin order would also be utilized in the same city it’s assembled. Janesville is not part of any passenger rail plans, neither short nor long-term.
Perhaps the biggest kicker is the potential cost-savings in possible partnership with Milwaukee-based Super Steel who manufacturers train cars for Metra and light-rail vehicles. A Super Steel partnership in some form is exactly what the Milwaukee legislative contingent is pushing for.
Talgo it’s easy, come to Milwaukee.
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Why Talgo Stays in Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Talgo Lands $139 Million Contract - Jeramey Jannene - May 14th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Locomotives for Amtrak - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 1st, 2017
- The Return of Talgo - Graham Kilmer - Jul 17th, 2017
- Plenty of Horne: Welcome Back, Talgo USA! - Michael Horne - Nov 25th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Talgo Coming Back to Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 26th, 2016
- Op-Ed: Walker’s High Speed Folly - Spencer Black - May 26th, 2016
- Murphy’s Law: The Twisted Tale of Talgo - Bruce Murphy - Aug 25th, 2015
- The Last Train from Talgo - Bruce Murphy - May 29th, 2014
- Back in the News: Michigan May Get Talgo Trains - Bruce Murphy - Apr 14th, 2014
Read more about History of Talgo in Milwaukee here