Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past
Statement from Alderman Tony Zielinski
The Sterling Brown incident has proven that it is vital for law enforcement to be equipped with body cameras. As an early champion of this technology for the sake of both officers and the public, predictions cited by me years ago have come to bear.
In August 20, 2014, I issued a call for the Mayor to fund this technology in the 2015 executive budget, statements of which were published in the Journal Sentinel. http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/news/272060531.html
“These cameras offer the public a clear record of what transpired, and for officers who followed the law and followed procedure – but who are wrongfully accused – the footage can provide irrefutable vindication.”
My words ring true nearly four years later as circumstances surrounding the Sterling Brown incident are called into question. Regardless of your opinion on that event, I am hoping we can all agree on this: body cameras are an effective tool in police transparency and accountability.
More about the Sterling Brown Incident
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Tony Zielinski
News release from Alderman Tony Zielinski
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski - April 13, 2018
This resolution will prohibit any policy which aims to stifle whistle-blowers.