Sheriff David Clarke’s Resignation is a Victory for Milwaukee
In response to Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s resignation, Congresswoman Gwen Moore (WI-04) issued the following statement:
“David Clarke’s untimely departure as Milwaukee County Sheriff isn’t just a victory for Milwaukee, but for all of those whose rights and dignity were violated during his tenure. Joe Arpaio-like law enforcement figures like Clarke, who prioritize partisan fame over their constituents’ safety, have no place in our local or federal government.
“Rather than being a valuable voice in the national conversation over the strained relationship between police and the communities they serve, Clarke allowed his appetite for the spotlight to erode his credibility and weaken his authority as sheriff. As too many of my constituents can attest to, he cared more about his office looking bad than doing good. Milwaukee County deserved better.
“Clearly, Clarke was incapable of serving the residents who elected him to office as was only interested in serving a constituency of one: himself. However, even in his absence, I will continue to push Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and the Justice Department to hold Clarke responsible for the lives destroyed under his watch like Terrill Thomas, Michael Madden, Kristina Fiebrink and Shadé Swayzer‘s newborn baby girl. In the meantime, I call on Governor Walker to appoint a sheriff who will take their job seriously, value compassion over condescension, and put people before politics.”
More about the Resignation of Sheriff Clarke
- Op Ed: The Online Legacy of Sheriff Clarke - Isiah Holmes - Sep 14th, 2017
- Back in the News: Why Did Sheriff Clarke Resign? - Bruce Murphy - Sep 1st, 2017
- Alderman Bob Donovan thanks Sheriff Clarke on his years of dedication to public service - Ald. Bob Donovan - Sep 1st, 2017
- Sheriff David Clarke’s Resignation is a Victory for Milwaukee - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Aug 31st, 2017
- Chairman Lipscomb Statement on Resignation of Sheriff Clarke - County Board Chairman Theodore Lipscomb, Sr. - Aug 31st, 2017
- Statement from Earnell Lucas, candidate for Milwaukee County Sheriff - Earnell Lucas - Aug 31st, 2017
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Clarke Resignation - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - Aug 31st, 2017
- Sen. Taylor Applauds Sheriff Clarke’s Resignation - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 31st, 2017
- Resignation Letter - Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. - Aug 31st, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore
In response to continued protests on the 70th anniversary of the Nakba, or Day of Catastrophe, Congresswoman Gwen Moore (WI-04) released the following statement:
"This Republican-led Congress has been the most fiscally irresponsible in American history."