Rep. Bowen Statement on Shooting of Jacob Blake
“I Am Tired of Talk”
“Another day, another name in a hashtag. Another police department, another example of excessive use of force against an unarmed Black person. I was a community organizer when Trayvon Martin was murdered. I was running for County Board when Rekia Boyd was murdered. I was first running for Assembly when Dontre Hamilton was shot 14 times and killed, when Eric Garner was choked to death, when Mike Brown was gunned down, and had just been elected when Tamir Rice had his life cut short for the crime of being a Black child playing in a park. The years pass on, and the list of names continues to grow. The calls for ‘reform’ continue to sound from the same corners, the same dedication to incrementalism. And all the while, the list of names grows longer, the trail of Black and Brown bodies left by police grows, and nothing actually happens. Jacob Blake, thank God, is alive, but his situation highlights the change we need to see. He was attempting to take care of his community and prevented violence from escalating, yet he was made out to be the problem.
To my Republican colleagues: stop slowing down the legislative process with your control. Stop blocking attempts at meaningful policy change because you’ve never personally witnessed or experienced abuses by the police. Stop thinking “other issues” affecting communities of color need to be fixed first before we implement accountability on law enforcement because truthfully they are interconnected. Start listening, with open ears and open hearts. Talk to your colleagues of color who have lived these struggles their whole lives. Come talk to me about why this issue is personal; why this issue hits close to home; why every single Black man and woman in America knows that every single interaction with a police officer carries with it a risk of ending up in a hospital bed in critical condition, enduring to make it back home, or being killed in front of your children even if you do follow the rules.
And to my Democratic colleagues: prove that ‘Black Lives Matter’ is more than just a slogan, a sign or a t-shirt. Be a leading example in your urgency. Be vocal, be present, listen to your Black & Brown colleagues and communities of color. Accept bold proposals to redefine public safety into something that is holistic and healing, rather than constantly focusing on punishment and incarceration. When you are in predominantly white-run spaces, continue to advocate for Black and Brown lives and be true accountable allies. Our issues are your issues, just as your issues are our issues.
We are at a turning point. This is our watershed moment. Talk has never been cheaper. Let’s act and pass the 9 bills the Governor brought forth, and then consider all the measures that we know will save lives. Let’s finally get to work, together.”
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- No Federal Charges For Officer That Shot Jacob Blake - Madeline Fox - Oct 8th, 2021
- Federal Officials Close Review of the Officer-Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake - U.S. Department of Justice - Oct 8th, 2021
- WisGOP Statement on One-Year Anniversary of Kenosha Violence - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Aug 24th, 2021
- One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting Kenosha Seeks Answers - Isiah Holmes and Henry Redman - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Kenosha Activists Arrested During Protest of Jacob Blake - Henry Redman - May 6th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Wisconsin Police Donated to Officer that Shot Jacob Blake - Jenny Peek and Corrinne Hess - Apr 16th, 2021
- Kenosha activists respond to tonight’s Officer Sheskey announcement - Leaders of Kenosha - Apr 13th, 2021
- Kenosha Police Department Statement on Officer Rusten Sheskey’s Return From Administrative Leave - Kenosha Police Department - Apr 13th, 2021
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. David Bowen
Bowen offers experienced leadership to work towards necessary solutions for Milwaukee
With Site Selection, Evers Administration and DOC Take First Major Step to Finally Close Lincoln Hills
Decision in Dobbs Goes Against the Will of the People and Will Hurt Marginalized Communities Most