Milwaukee Inner-city Congregations Allied for Hope (MICAH) Celebrates 30 Years of Working for Justice
May 24 Event Honors Three Award Winners
May 8, 2018 – “Making a Joyful Noise for Justice—30 Years and Beyond” is the theme for the 30th anniversary celebration of Milwaukee Inner-city Congregations Allied for Hope (MICAH), set for 5:00 p.m. May 24, 2018 at the St. Sebastian Parish Hall, 5400 W. Washington Blvd. Tickets for the event, which is open to the public, are $30 and may be purchased by calling the MICAH office at 414-264-0805 or emailing email@example.com. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door.
MICAH is a multi-racial, interfaith organization committed to addressing justice issues that have an impact on the community and MICAH members. Founded in 1988 with seven Christian churches, MICAH currently engages 36 congregations from various faith traditions including Christian, Jewish, Muslim and others. More information is available at www.MICAHmke.org.
“The world has changed significantly in 30 years, but MICAH’s goal remains the same: to empower people to act together in pursuit of justice, and to organize so that people of many traditions can come together to speak with one voice for justice,” says Rev. Marilyn Miller, MICAH president and pastor, Reformation Lutheran Church. “This event will celebrate our great history and propel us into an even greater future,” she says.
Between 5:00 and 6:30 p.m., five popular food trucks with diverse ethnic cuisine will be parked on 54th Street so participants can purchase dinner and bring it to the St. Sebastian church hall, where they’ll find complimentary coffee, water and dessert. Off-street parking will be available in the adjacent school parking lot.
The 30th Anniversary Awards program begins at 6:45 p.m. and will include:
- The 2018 MICAH “To Do What is Just” Award will be presented to Rev. Willie Brisco, MICAH president 2010 to 2015 and current WISDOM president, a statewide network of congregation-based justice organizations. Brisco is assisting minister at New Covenant Baptist Church. Under Brisco’s leadership, MICAH was successful in adding two transit lines to help Milwaukee workers get to jobs in New Berlin, Waukesha and Brookfield.
- Barbara Wilson Walker will posthumously receive the 2018 MICAH Trailblazer Award. A member of Cross Lutheran Church, Walker was co-chair of the MICAH Jobs and Economic Development Task Force for more than five years and was chair of a strong justice core team at Cross Church. Despite challenging health issues, she remained active as a MICAH board member and task force participant. She leaves behind a legacy of tenacity and faith in action.
- The MICAH 2018 Volunteer of the Year award will go to Robert Monahan, MICAH board treasurer and a First Unitarian congregation member. Almost immediately after his retirement in 2017, Monahan took on the MICAH treasurer responsibilities. He has spent countless hours providing financial and IT assistance while actively participating in the MICAH board and executive committee.
Entertainment during the program includes Serita Versityle Campbell, who brings a new rap, neo-soul, and reggaeton style of music to the gospel realm, and Lil Rev, described as the “Jewish Pete Seeger” – a songwriter, instrumentalist, and interpreter of American music and culture. Spoken word artists include high school student Shalequa Winston and Jon-Darren Walker, son of Barbara Wilson Walker.
According to Miller, MICAH’s leadership through the years has led to increases in home ownership, major expansion of drug and alcohol treatment programs, investments in public schools and more. “For the next 30 years, we will keep bringing together people of faith and good will to tackle the issues of our time. Right now, that means fighting against mass incarceration, working to maintain our commitment to public schools and public transportation, and so much more,” she says.
MICAH members include:
- All Peoples Gathering Lutheran Church
- Bay Shore Lutheran Church
- Bethesda Baptist Church
- Canaan Baptist Church
- Christian Fellowship Community Church
- Congregation Sinai
- Congregation Shir Hadash
- Cross Lutheran Church
- First Unitarian Society
- Friendship Missionary Baptist Church
- Gesu Catholic Church
- Hephatha Lutheran Church
- Incarnation Lutheran Church
- Islamic Society of Milwaukee
- Lake Park Lutheran Church
- Lion of Judah Christian Ministries
- Lutheran Social Services of WI & Upper MI
- Milwaukee Islamic Da’wa Center
- Milwaukee Friends Meeting (Quakers)
- Mt. Moriah Baptist Church
- Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
- New Covenant Missionary Baptist Church
- New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
- Plymouth United Church of Christ
- Progressive Baptist Church
- Providence Baptist Church
- Reformation Lutheran Church
- Ss. Cyril & Methodius Orthodox Church
- St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church
- St John United Baptist
- St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church
- St. Matthew, CME Church
- St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church
- St. Sebastian Catholic Church
- Unitarian Church North
- Unitarian Universalist Church West
For more information, see www.MICAHmke.org.