Milwaukee has an opportunity to usher in lasting change
Statement from members of the Milwaukee Common Council – Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderman Robert J. Bauman, Alderman Michael J. Murphy, Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II and Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Ashanti Hamilton and Alderman Khalif J. Rainey
For more than 70 days protesters have taken to the streets of Milwaukee and cities across the globe demanding police reform in the wake of the death of George Floyd at the hands of a Minnesota police officer.
This week some unique things have occurred in Milwaukee. The Police Chief has been removed, an interim Chief has been sworn in, a new Chair of the Fire & Police Commission (FPC) has been selected, and the search for a new FPC Executive Director has begun. As the demands for transparency, accountability, and change in everything from training to funding in the police department grows, we must recognize this moment for evolution.
In addition, now is the time the Mayor should exercise his ability to add more members to the FPC (which currently has 7 members but state law allows for 9) affording the chance for a few more residents to be a part of the commission.
We must seize this opportunity to ensure community demands are addressed, and begin the healing this city is in need of through the process used and leadership selections made for these critical positions.
- Former FPC Chairman Steven DeVougas Headlines Newsmaker Lunch Hour - Milwaukee Press Club - Sep 3rd, 2020
- City Hall: Morales Starts Process To Sue City - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 21st, 2020
- Latinx Community Divided Over Morales’ Exit - Edgar Mendez - Aug 20th, 2020
- Milwaukee has an opportunity to usher in lasting change - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 9th, 2020
- It’s time for the MPD and FPC to move forward - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Aug 7th, 2020
- Police Chief Alfonso Morales Demoted - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 6th, 2020
- Broken Systems, Broken Promises - Steven M. DeVougas - Aug 6th, 2020
- MPD Chief Morales and FPC Chairman DeVougas deserve removal - Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa - Aug 6th, 2020
- MPD Defends Tear Gas Use In New Video - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 5th, 2020
- City Hall: Will Chief Morales Sue The City If He’s Fired? - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 4th, 2020
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Common Council
Statement from members of the Milwaukee Common Council – Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderman Scott Spiker, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman José G. Pérez, Alderman Robert J. Bauman, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic and Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa
Joint statement from members of the Milwaukee Common Council – Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderman Robert J. Bauman, Alderman Michael J. Murphy, Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, Alderman José G. Pérez, Alderman Mark Borkowski, Alderman Nik Kovac and Alderman Scott Spiker