Mayor Tom Barrett Applauds Passage of Bill Prohibiting Straw Purchasing
Senate Bill 408 criminalizes gun purchases on behalf of felons and acting as ‘human holster’
MILWAUKEE – Today, Thursday, March 28, Senate Bill 408 was signed into law. The legislation criminalizes the act of straw purchasing, which is purchasing a weapon on behalf of a prohibited possessor, and the act of serving as a human holster, which is knowingly furnishing a weapon to a prohibited possessor. Mayor Tom Barrett applauds the passage of the bill.
“The passage of SB 408 is a positive step forward in keeping our city, and the state, safe by making sure guns don’t end up in the wrong hands,” said Mayor Tom Barrett. “We are thankful to Senator Alberta Darling for her efforts in leading the passage of this bill.”
The City of Milwaukee registered in support of SB 408 on September 17, 2017 and has since worked to push the bill through the legislature. The City provided supportive testimony, including testimony from members of the Milwaukee Police Department, during the public hearings before the State Assembly and State Senate.
On February 20, 2018, the Wisconsin State Legislature unanimously passed SB 408. The bill was sponsored by Senators Alberta Darling, Van Wanggaard, Tim Carpenter, Jon Erpenbach, and Frank Lasee. It was co-sponsored by representatives Joe Sanfelippo, Jimmy Anderson, Janel Brandtjen, Edward Brooks, Cindi Duchow, James Edming, Bob Gannon, Mike Kuglitsch, Keith Ripp, Mike Rohrkaste, and Jeremy Thiesfeldt.
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republican Senators, Do Your Job! - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Mayor Tom Barrett
Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement regarding the City of Milwaukee emergency curfew:Jun 3rd, 2020 by Mayor Tom Barrett
“The City of Milwaukee will not be issuing a curfew for today, June 3.”