Republicans Continue to Show their True Colors with Upcoming Budget Plans: The Time for Action is Now
With the Joint Finance Committee planning to vote to remove 280 policy provisions, Republicans show Wisconsinites are not their top priority
MADISON – The Wisconsin Joint Finance Committee (JFC) announced last week that they are preparing to vote as early as this Thursday to strip 280 items from the state budget. Included in these provisions include community violence prevention grants and gun safety measures.
Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) released the following statement regarding the Republican-led plans for gutting provisions to address gun violence from the state budget:
“Broadly, the Republican plans to gut the state budget of life changing and lifesaving provisions shows where their priorities lie – and it’s not with the people of Wisconsin. I will continue to support the budget crafted by Governor Tony Evers, who authentically listened to the needs of the people of Wisconsin.
“Too many of our friends and neighbors are suffering. We can no longer kick the can down the road and avoid taking necessary action to save lives. Wisconsinites support common sense gun legislation, let’s get them done now.
“I call upon my Republican colleagues to keep these provisions in the budget and debate them on their merits. While there is no one solution, we must utilize an all hands on deck approach to this reform. Let’s get to work and focus on what the majority of Wisconsinites support. We know that everyone in Wisconsin deserves to live without fear of gun violence. Senseless inaction and flawed logic by the GOP in Wisconsin is irresponsible and dangerous. It is a shame that the Republicans are continuing to play politics with the lives of Wisconsinites.”
- Bipartisan legislation a positive step forward for gun reform - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 17th, 2021
- Bipartisan Bill Bans Guns For Those Convicted of Domestic Violence - Erik Gunn - May 14th, 2021
- Club Midtown isn’t a thing - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 5th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Recent Acts of Gun Violence - County Executive David Crowley - May 4th, 2021
- Republicans Continue to Show their True Colors with Upcoming Budget Plans: The Time for Action is Now - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 3rd, 2021
- Continued gun violence underscores the need for change - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 3rd, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Shooting Tragedy at the Oneida Casino Complex - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Shooting at Oneida Casino Complex - Gov. Tony Evers - May 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Mass Shootings Are Not Inevitable - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Apr 30th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Melissa Agard
With Republican led votes to strip nearly 300 provisions from the budget, the people of Wisconsin lose out on life-changing and life-saving provisions