Judiciary Committee Approves Proposal to Reduce Marijuana Possession Penalty
Milwaukee – Today the County Board’s Judiciary, Safety and General Services Committee approved a resolution sponsored by Supervisor Sylvia Ortiz-Velez that would reduce the fine for marijuana possession, and possession and delivery of drug paraphernalia, within Milwaukee County to no more than $1.
“I would like to thank my colleagues on the Judiciary Committee for supporting this proposal,” said Supervisor Ortiz-Velez. “Their support means those who use marijuana for medicine are one step closer to not being harshly penalized in Milwaukee County and is another step towards achieving our vision of racial equity. I look forward to having the full County Board consider this resolution.”
Current Milwaukee County ordinance sets the fine for marijuana possession as not less than $250 nor more than $500.
The resolution would apply only to Chapter 24 of Milwaukee County ordinance, which is reserved for violations of 25 grams or less of marijuana. Law enforcement would still be able to issue State citations, if needed, for possession of larger amounts.
Supervisors Ryan Clancy, Steven Shea, Sequanna Taylor, Joseph J. Czarnezki, Willie Johnson Jr., Liz Sumner, Anthony Staskunas, Shawn Rolland and Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson are co-sponsors of the resolution.
The resolution is expected to come before the full County Board at its Thursday, March 25 meeting.
- Thousands of Wisconsinites Sign Petition in Support of Cannabis Legalization - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 29th, 2021
- MKE County: Board Changes Pot Possession Fine to $1 - Graham Kilmer - Mar 26th, 2021
- County Board Adopts Resolution Reducing Marijuana Possession Penalty - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 25th, 2021
- City Hall: Proposal Ends Fines for Pot Possession - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Racial Bias Found in Pot Prosecutions - Corri Hess - Mar 22nd, 2021
- MKE County: Committee Okays $1 Fine For Pot Possession - Graham Kilmer - Mar 16th, 2021
- Judiciary Committee Approves Proposal to Reduce Marijuana Possession Penalty - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Mar 11th, 2021
- Senator Agard Sends Letter to JFC Co-Chairs in Support of Keeping Legalization of Marijuana in State Budget - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 10th, 2021
- Chairwoman Nicholson Supports County and State Efforts to End Marijuana Prohibition - County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson - Feb 10th, 2021
- MKE County: Resolution Cuts Pot Possession Fine to $1 - Graham Kilmer - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here