Gov. Evers Signs Executive Order #43 Recreating the Governor’s Juvenile Justice Commission
"I am excited to recreate the Juvenile Justice Commission as a space for discussing innovations and best practices that Wisconsin should adopt across the entire spectrum of the juvenile justice system."
MADISON – Gov. Tony Evers yesterday signed Executive Order #43 recreating the Governor’s Juvenile Justice Commission (GJJC). The GJJC is Wisconsin’s State Advisory Group, required by the federal Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention Act.
“I am excited to recreate the Juvenile Justice Commission as a space for discussing innovations and best practices that Wisconsin should adopt across the entire spectrum of the juvenile justice system,” said Gov. Evers. “In addition to focusing on system-based reform, we must invest in front-end reforms that prevent our kids from becoming part of the juvenile justice system in the first place.”
GJJC membership includes:
- Department of Children and Families Secretary-designee Emilie Amundson, or a representative
- Department of Corrections Secretary-designee Kevin Carr, or a representative
- Charles Tubbs – Director, Dane County Emergency Management
- Sean Wilson – Smart Justice Statewide Organizer, ACLU of Wisconsin
- Ben Gonring – Assistant State Public Defender, Madison
- Monika Audette – Program Operations Leader, Barron County Restorative Justice Programs
- Sam Benedict – Former Assistant State Public Defender, Waukesha
- David Steinberg – Superintendent, La Crosse County Juvenile Detention Facility
- Jennifer Ginsburg – Executive Director, Safe Harbor Child Advocacy Center
- Tweed Shuman – Sawyer County Board Chairman and Lac Courte Oreilles Tribal Council member
- Revelle Warren – Milwaukee Constituent Services Manager, Office of the Governor
- Héctor Colón – President and CEO, Lutheran Social Service
- Sharlen Moore – Director, Youth Justice Milwaukee
- Mindy Tempelis – Outagamie County District Attorney
- Judge Carl Ashley – Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- Thomas Mann – Justice Detention Alternative Director, Justice Point
- Jessica Jimenez – Office of Emergency Communications, Department of Military Affairs
Two other positions will also be held for members of the Department of Children and Families’ Youth Leadership Team, which involves youth in the decision-making process about the juvenile justice system.
Office of the Governor
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Gov. Evers, Lt. Gov. Barnes Hear from More Than 300 Wisconsinites at Virtual Budget Listening SessionNov 24th, 2020 by Gov. Tony Evers
Next virtual budget listening session on environment, infrastructure, and the economy to occur Dec.