Gov. Evers, Secretary-designee Palm Issue Order to Expand Healthcare Workforce
MADISON — In response to the current surge in cases and the growing strain on Wisconsin’s healthcare system, today Gov. Tony Evers and Wisconsin Department of Health Service (DHS) Secretary-designee Andrea Palm issued an emergency order to help address healthcare staffing needs. The order is available here.
“We are seeing alarming trends here in Wisconsin, with today seeing our highest number of new cases in a single day, and yesterday seeing our highest death count,” said Gov. Evers. “Our hospitals are being stretched to the limit, and we need to take action to assist our frontline medical professionals with their life-saving work.”
“We are in a new stage of the COVID-19 pandemic, and hospitals across the state are reporting current or imminent staffing shortages,” said DHS Secretary-designee Palm. “While I am grateful we are able to take this step to facilitate additional staffing flexibilities and support for our healthcare systems, we also need Wisconsinites across the state to help us protect our frontline healthcare workers and hospitals by wearing a mask and staying home as much as possible.”
The order is effective immediately and will remain in effect for the duration of the current declared federal public health emergency and renewals or until a superseding order is issued by Gov. Evers or Secretary-designee Palm.
For up-to-date information about Wisconsin’s COVID-19 response, visit the DHS COVID-19 webpage. We also encourage you to follow @DHSWI on Facebook and Twitter, or dhs.wi on Instagram for more information on COVID-19.
- WI Daily: 3,626 New COVID-19 Cases, Another Active Hospitalization Record High - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2020
- WI Daily: Milwaukee County Falls to 14th Worst Outbreak, Even As Cases Accelerate - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 24th, 2020
- Appeals Court Blocks State Restaurant, Bar Rules - Shawn Johnson - Oct 24th, 2020
- Milwaukee Unemployment at 8.4% - Graham Kilmer - Oct 23rd, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 10,000 Wisconsin Residents Have Been Hospitalized With COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Election Officials Can’t Require Masks At Polls - Laurel White - Oct 23rd, 2020
- WILL Asks Judge to Decide on Merits in Lawsuit Challenging Gov. Evers’s Emergency Declarations - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Getting More Aggressive On COVID-19 Order Fines - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 23rd, 2020
- All Utilities Can’t Disconnect Service Until Spring - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 23rd, 2020
- More COVID-19 Cases and Hospitalizations in Milwaukee Now Than Ever Before - Graham Kilmer - Oct 22nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Sales and use taxes from out-of-state retailers and marketplace providers results in more than $250 million in tax relief targeted toward lower and middle-income taxpayers
Gov. Evers Provides Update on Investments made in Public Health, Emergency Response, and Economic StabilizationOct 20th, 2020 by Gov. Tony Evers
Administration continues to prioritize Wisconsin communities in COVID-19 pandemic response