FPC should halt selection of new police chief
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson January 4, 2021
2020 was a tumultuous year for the Fire and Police Commission (FPC). Among the notable events was the FPC choosing to demote Alfonso Morales from the rank of chief down to captain. As has been determined, this action by the FPC should not have happened without proper due process and as a result, by my request, the City’s inspector general is reviewing the matter to determine how this decision was made.
Furthermore, the FPC selection process for a new chief was defined by confusion, a changing set of rules around interviewing candidates in which sitting members of the commission did not cast votes that may have altered the finalist pool, the resignation of a member, and other challenges that have led to the commission remaining deadlocked on their selection. Those challenges are without mention of the legal challenge being presented by the former chief as well.
It is important that we learn from our mistakes to better our future. The FPC has a chance to start the New Year off on the right foot by pressing pause on the selection process for a new chief and allowing the current chief to exercise his ability in the post.
- City Hall: Council Confirms Avalos, Adds Tie-Breaking Vote to Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 19th, 2021
- City Hall: City Attorney Issues Confidential Opinion Regarding Morales Demotion - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Rejects Ann Wilson’s FPC Reappointment - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2021
- Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office Completes FPC Background Investigation - Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office - Jan 7th, 2021
- FPC should halt selection of new police chief - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Mayor Barrett Is Asleep At The Switch - Jordan Morales - Dec 26th, 2020
- City Hall: Judge Restores Alfonso Morales As Police Chief - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 18th, 2020
- Jeffrey Norman Will Serve as Acting Police Chief - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 18th, 2020
- City Hall: Avalos Confirmation On Hold Because of FPC Misstep - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Committee Backs Leon Todd to Lead FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson January 20, 2021
Statement of Alderman Cavalier Johnson January 14, 2021