FPC should halt selection of new police chief
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson January 4, 2021
2020 was a tumultuous year for the Fire and Police Commission (FPC). Among the notable events was the FPC choosing to demote Alfonso Morales from the rank of chief down to captain. As has been determined, this action by the FPC should not have happened without proper due process and as a result, by my request, the City’s inspector general is reviewing the matter to determine how this decision was made.
Furthermore, the FPC selection process for a new chief was defined by confusion, a changing set of rules around interviewing candidates in which sitting members of the commission did not cast votes that may have altered the finalist pool, the resignation of a member, and other challenges that have led to the commission remaining deadlocked on their selection. Those challenges are without mention of the legal challenge being presented by the former chief as well.
It is important that we learn from our mistakes to better our future. The FPC has a chance to start the New Year off on the right foot by pressing pause on the selection process for a new chief and allowing the current chief to exercise his ability in the post.
- City Hall: Police Chief Search Has One Candidate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 6th, 2021
- City Hall: FPC Restarting Police Chief Search - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2021
- City Hall: Council Approves Morales Settlement - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2021
- City Hall: Morales Payout Rises Still Higher - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2021
- City Hall: Morales Reaches Tentative, $626,000 Settlement With City - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2021
- No Settlement Yet, Morales Will Be Police Chief Again On July 15th - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 9th, 2021
- City Hall: Council Okays Huge Change in FPC Board - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 7th, 2021
- City Hall: Morales Or Milwaukee, Who Will Blink First? - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 25th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Loves New FPC Nominees - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 24th, 2021
- City Hall: The Ann Wilson Problem - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 24th, 2021
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Getting Milwaukee closer to better financial health, more stable housing, and improved public health and safetySep 21st, 2021 by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson September 21, 2021
September 7, 2021