County Board of Supervisors Congratulate Colectivo Workers on Successful Union Election
Colectivo workers voted to join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 494 which will develop the group's first negotiated contract, pending the election’s certification by the National Labor Relations Board.
On Monday, workers at Colectivo Coffee won an election to form a union by a margin of 106-99, after the National Labor Relations Board opened up seven challenged ballots that were uncounted during the first count, which resulted in a 99-99 tie result.
Milwaukee County Supervisors Ryan Clancy, Priscilla Coggs-Jones, Eddie Cullen, Joseph J. Czarnezki, Russell Antonio Goodwin, Sr., Jason Haas, Willie Johnson, Jr., Felesia Martin, Sylvia Ortiz-Velez, Shawn Rolland, Liz Sumner, Steven Shea, Sequanna Taylor, John Weishan, Jr., and Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson released the following statement congratulating Colectivo Coffee workers on their successful unionization effort, and calling on Colectivo ownership to bargain in good faith with employees moving forward.
“Congratulations to the union organizers and workers who seek redress for their workplace issues. This election shows the importance of every vote being counted. The seven votes that Colectivo sought to block proved crucial for the success of the union.
“As Colectivo is now likely the largest café chain in the United States to unionize, we hope that this sets a trend for other service industry workers both in Milwaukee and across the country.
“We call on the ownership of Colectivo Coffee to respect the results of this historic election and bargain in good faith with their employees during negotiations over this first union contract.”
Colectivo workers voted to join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 494 which will develop the group’s first negotiated contract, pending the election’s certification by the National Labor Relations Board.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- NLRB Upholds Colectivo Union Election - Graham Kilmer - Mar 25th, 2022
- IBEW Local 494 Celebrates the Final Decision of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) on the Colectivo Coffee Workers Successful Unionization Campaign Effort - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 25th, 2022
- Union Blasts Colectivo For Stalling Negotiations - Graham Kilmer - Jan 6th, 2022
- Union Bid At Colectivo Still On Hold - Erik Gunn - Dec 13th, 2021
- County Board of Supervisors Congratulate Colectivo Workers on Successful Union Election - Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors - Aug 27th, 2021
- Supervisor Czarnezki Calls on Colectivo Ownership to Bargain with Employees in Good Faith - Sup. Joe Czarnezki - Aug 27th, 2021
- Congratulations Colectivo workers - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 25th, 2021
- Colectivo Workers Win Union Election - Graham Kilmer - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Colectivo Union Election Is a Tie Vote - Graham Kilmer - Apr 6th, 2021
- Colectivo Union Election Finishes - Graham Kilmer - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about Union Effort at Colectivo here