Companies Accused of Polluting Donated $72,000
23 chemical companies sued for PFAS contamination support state political candidates.
Employees from a handful of 23 chemical companies sued by the City of La Crosse for PFAS contamination have contributed nearly $72,000 since 2015 to Wisconsin legislative and statewide candidates.
The lawsuit, like many others filed by local governments, citizens, and firefighters in recent years, claimed PFAS have contaminated public and private wells and that chemical makers have known of the dangers of PFAS for decades but kept them secret from users.
Employees and political action committees from four of the companies or their corporate parents contributed $71,958 to legislative and statewide candidates between January 2015 and Oct. 19, 2020.
The company employee and PAC contributions came from:
BASF Corp., $600
Corteva Inc., $100
The top recipients of those contributions were:
Former Republican Gov. Scott Walker, $11,925
Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, $3,250
PFAS, which are commonly used in fire-fighting foam, nonstick cookware, and water- and stain-resistant clothing and carpet, have been linked to cancer, thyroid, and reproductive illnesses. The manmade chemicals have become a growing concern in recent years because they have been found in drinking water supplies throughout Wisconsin and they do not break down in the human body or the environment.
In a related development, Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce (WMC), the state’s largest business group, sued the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources last month claiming that the agency does not have the authority to enforce clean-up standards for PFAS.
Late last year, Republican lawmakers weakened an emergency rule and the DNR’s ability to monitor and regulate water treatment for the foam after WMC objected to the proposal.
WMC is a leading spender on outside electioneering activities in Wisconsin. The group has doled out more than $26 million since January 2010 to support Republican and conservative legislative and statewide candidates in Wisconsin state elections.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
- Business Lobby Sues DNR Over PFAS Testing - Danielle Kaeding - Apr 1st, 2021
- French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution - Isiah Holmes - Mar 30th, 2021
- Multiple State Agencies Responding To PFAS Contamination On French Island - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 25th, 2021
- Senate Passes Bill To Prevent Rape Kit Backlog - Shawn Johnson - Mar 16th, 2021
- DNR To Host Virtual Listening Sessions Regarding PFAS Investigation In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities On March 17 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 16th, 2021
- Campaign Cash: Companies Accused of Polluting Donated $72,000 - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Mar 9th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here