Aurora Fires Employee That Sabotaged COVID-19 Vaccine Vials
The employee left out over 500 doses intentionally.
An employee responsible for spoiling 500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine at a Grafton medical center was terminated by Advocate Aurora Health.
The healthcare provider disclosed earlier this week that 57 vials containing more than 500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from Moderna were left outside of a refrigerator overnight. The vaccine is required to be stored at near-zero temperatures and then thawed in a refrigerator.
Wednesday evening it released that the vaccines were left out intentionally and that the employee was terminated.
“We immediately launched an internal review and were led to believe this was caused by inadvertent human error,” said the provider in a statement. It said the employee admitted committing the act intentionally. “We have notified appropriate authorities for further investigation.”
Wisconsin is scheduled to receive approximately 16,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine in an initial shipment and a total of 100,000 doses in coming weeks. The state received approximately 85,000 doses in an initial shipment of the Pfizer vaccine, which must be stored at colder temperatures.
The health care provider is not identifying the employee.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Rep. Dora Drake: Statement about the Senate Anti-Mask Resolution - State Rep. Dora Drake - Jan 28th, 2021
- WI Daily: New COVID-19 Cases Still Coming in Faster Than Any Point Last Summer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 27th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Why GOP Wants to Spread COVID-19 - Bruce Thompson - Jan 27th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Vos ‘Behaving Like a Bully,’ Democrats Charge - Erik Gunn and Melanie Conklin - Jan 27th, 2021
- Assembly Resists Senate COVID-19 Compromise - Laurel White - Jan 27th, 2021
- BBB Scam Alert: As COVID-19 vaccine rolls out, scammers cash in - Wisconsin Better Business Bureau - Jan 27th, 2021
- WI Daily: New COVID-19 Cases At Lowest Point Since Mid-September - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 26th, 2021
- Representative LaKeshia Myers Condemns Assembly Republican’s Political Gamesmanship with COVID-19 Legislation - State Rep. LaKeshia Myers - Jan 26th, 2021
- Senate Votes to Kill State Mask Mandate - Shawn Johnson - Jan 26th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist Pleads Guilty - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 26th, 2021
- Brandenburg Released on $10,000 Bond - Rich Kremer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Pharmacist Arrested For Intentionally Ruining 500 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses - Corri Hess - Dec 31st, 2020
- Aurora Fires Employee That Sabotaged COVID-19 Vaccine Vials - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2020
- Nearly 40,000 Doses of Vaccine Administered - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
Read more about Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist here