Brandenburg Released on $10,000 Bond
Pharmacist who tried to destroy 500 vaccines may not have succeeded, DA says.
The Wisconsin pharmacist arrested for trying to destroy more than 500 doses of COVID-19 vaccine will be released from jail on a $10,000 signature bond. The move comes after the Ozaukee County district attorney told a circuit court judge it’s unclear whether any vaccine was actually destroyed.
Aurora Health pharmacist Steven Brandenburg of Grafton was arrested on Dec. 31 after the hospital system told Grafton Police around 570 doses of Moderna coronavirus vaccine had been purposely left at room temperature overnight, rendering them useless.
But during an initial appearance in Ozaukee County Circuit Court Monday, District Attorney Adam Gerol told Judge Paul Malloy that some of the initial reports about the vaccine being destroyed had been walked back. Gerol said, in essence, it’s unclear whether the drugs have been damaged or destroyed and that further testing by Moderna may be necessary to know for sure.
“And apparently the only way they can discover that or tell us that is if they test them. It’s unknown how much time that will take,” Gerol said.
According to guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine must be frozen at temperatures between minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit and 5 degrees Fahrenheit. The CDC says unused vials can be stored at between 46 degrees Fahrenheit and 77 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 12 hours.
Gerol said even though Brandenburg admitted to police that he intended to destroy the vaccine by leaving it out, a crime may not have been committed if the medicine is still viable.
“You possibly have a crime known as attempted criminal damage to property in Wisconsin,” said Gerol. “That would be a misdemeanor and that would seem to apply at some point in time in the future.”
But Gerol also said he received reports from some of Brandenburg’s coworkers at Aurora Health that he had brought a firearm to work in the past, though it is unknown exactly when that happened.
Because of that, Gerol also asked the judge to require Brandenburg to surrender his firearms as a condition of bail along with banning him from working in healthcare or giving any vaccinations.
Malloy agreed and ordered Brandenburg to surrender his weapons by 5 p.m. Monday afternoon and not leave Wisconsin until the case is concluded.
Brandenburg had already surrendered some weapons to police at the request of his ex-wife, said Gerol. Court records show Brandenburg’s former wife filed for divorce in June 2020.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Pharmacist Arrested For Trying To Destroy COVID-19 Vaccine Released Monday was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- State Begins Vaccines For Youngest People - Erik Gunn - Jun 22nd, 2022
- DHS Recommends COVID-19 Vaccines for Everyone Age 6 Months and Older - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jun 21st, 2022
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake’s Statement on CDC’s COVID-19 Pediatric Vaccine Recommendations and Expansion to Children Under Age 5 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jun 18th, 2022
- MKE County: New COVID-19 Cases Down Slightly This Past Week - Graham Kilmer - Jun 17th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jun 17th, 2022
- MKE County: County Sees “Plateau” In New COVID-19 Cases - Graham Kilmer - Jun 10th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jun 10th, 2022
- High Court Okays Release of COVID-19 Workplace Data - Erik Gunn - Jun 8th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Cases Show Slight Decrease - Graham Kilmer - Jun 3rd, 2022
- Ivermectin Lawsuits Create New Challenge For Health Care Providers - Erik Gunn - Jun 2nd, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Vaccine Tamperer Gets Three Year Sentence - Rich Kremer - Jun 8th, 2021
- Bill Makes Vaccine Tampering, Destruction a Felony - Laurel White - Apr 29th, 2021
- Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist Pleads Guilty - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 26th, 2021
- Brandenburg Released on $10,000 Bond - Rich Kremer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Pharmacist Arrested For Intentionally Ruining 500 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses - Corri Hess - Dec 31st, 2020
- Aurora Fires Employee That Sabotaged COVID-19 Vaccine Vials - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2020
- Nearly 40,000 Doses of Vaccine Administered - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
Read more about Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist here