Pharmacist Arrested For Intentionally Ruining 500 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses
57 people received spoiled vaccinations.
A former Advocate Aurora Health pharmacist has been arrested after admitting to deliberately spoiling more than 500 doses of coronavirus vaccine.
The health system first reported the doses of the Moderna vaccine had been spoiled on Saturday, saying they had been accidentally left out unrefrigerated overnight by an employee at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton.
Dr. Jeff Bahr, president of Aurora Health Care Medical Group, said a pharmacist later admitted to deliberately spoiling 570 doses of the vaccine.
The pharmacist, who is not being named, admitted taking the vaccine out of the refrigerator on Dec. 24 and putting it back on Dec. 26. Bahr said 57 people were vaccinated on Dec. 26, but because the vaccine was left unrefrigerated for several hours, it was less effective.
“The 57 recipients of those vaccinations were notified,” Bahr said. “At this time there is no evidence that the vaccinations pose any harm to them.”
Grafton Police arrested the pharmacist Thursday, recommending felony charges including recklessly endangering safety, adulterating a prescription drug and criminal damage to property. He is currently being held in the Ozaukee County Jail.
“Grafton detectives indicate that the individual knew the spoiled vaccinations would be useless and that people who received the vaccinations would think they had been vaccinated against the virus when in fact they were not,” according to a statement released by police on Thursday.
Police estimate the value of the spoiled doses to be between $8,000 and $11,000.
The FBI and U.S. Food and Drug Administration are also investigating the case.
Bahr did not want to comment on the pharmacist’s motive but said Advocate Aurora is in touch with the FDA about getting more doses for the individuals who received the ineffective vaccinations. He stressed the vaccines are the “only way out of the pandemic.”
Wisconsin Pharmacist Arrested After Deliberately Spoiling More Than 500 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Burden Remains Stable - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2022
- MKE County: Wastewater Data Shows COVID-19 Uptick - Graham Kilmer - Nov 18th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 11th, 2022
- DHS Launches Free Telehealth Service for COVID-19 Treatment - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 2nd, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Oct 28th, 2022
- New COVID-19 Boosters Available for Children - Graham Kilmer - Oct 25th, 2022
- MKE County: Rising New COVID-19 Variants A Concern - Graham Kilmer - Oct 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Increasing In Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Oct 14th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Oct 14th, 2022
- Widespread Immunity Key To Fighting Next COVID-19 Variant - Graham Kilmer - Oct 13th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Vaccine Tamperer Gets Three Year Sentence - Rich Kremer - Jun 8th, 2021
- Bill Makes Vaccine Tampering, Destruction a Felony - Laurel White - Apr 29th, 2021
- Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist Pleads Guilty - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 26th, 2021
- Brandenburg Released on $10,000 Bond - Rich Kremer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Pharmacist Arrested For Intentionally Ruining 500 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses - Corri Hess - Dec 31st, 2020
- Aurora Fires Employee That Sabotaged COVID-19 Vaccine Vials - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2020
- Nearly 40,000 Doses of Vaccine Administered - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
Read more about Vaccine Tampering Pharmacist here