Trump Files Second Suit Seeking to Throw Out Wisconsin Election
Trump campaign targets five cities, alleging voter fraud.
Donald Trump‘s campaign has filed a second lawsuit seeking to throw out Wisconsin’s election results. It’s the fifth such suit that seeks to give Trump the win in Wisconsin. And the arguments in the new Trump suit center around five Wisconsin cities – Milwaukee, Madison, Kenosha, Green Bay and Racine.
The first Trump suit, filed with the Wisconsin Supreme Court, challenges absentee ballots in Milwaukee and Dane counties, the state’s most populous counties and those that produced the biggest margins for Joe Biden.
Both the state and federal suits challenge absentee ballots from at least three different categories: in-person absentee ballots on the basis of an insufficient application; applications and absentee ballots cast by voters who declared themselves “indefinitely confined,” on the basis that clerks provided improper guidance; absentee ballots where clerks completed the witness address (commonly called “mismatched ink” envelopes) on the basis that the address is incomplete and the ballot should be rejected.
But the federal suit adds a category the state suit avoided: drop boxes. It uses an argument advanced by a suit filed last Friday by Karen Mueller that the drop boxes were illegal and all ballots submitted via them should be rejected. The Trump suit acknowledges that the state does not have records of how the absentee ballots were returned.
The campaign, as it has in other states, also challenges that ballots were counted outside the visibility of observers.
The suit confuses the City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County when it criticizes a grant that five Wisconsin cities received to support pandemic-related changes to election equipment and staffing, and it alleges a high turnout as a result of an “unlawful absentee-ballot expansion plan.” Past challenges to the $6.3 million grant have been rejected. The City of Milwaukee’s 2020 turnout was nearly identical to its 2016 turnout.
The suit also includes Milwaukee City Clerk Jim Owczarski as a defendant. And clerks do administer elections in Wisconsin, except in state-defined cities of the first class (Milwaukee is the only such place). Owczarski is in charge of recording Common Council votes, but it is Milwaukee Election Commission Executive Director Claire Woodall-Vogg that administers the city’s elections. The suit does name Woodall-Vogg, and unlike the two other suits that name her, Trump’s lawyers managed to spell her last name correctly.
Trump’s suit also names the Wisconsin Elections Commission and its members, except it forgot one. For reasons unknown, the suit failed to include Julie M. Glancey, a Democratic appointee, on the list alongside the five other commissioners.
Trump’s new suit, like all the others, seeks to have the election turned over to the Republican-controlled state Legislature.
The federal suit by was filed by attorneys William Bock III, James A. Knauer and Kevin D. Koons, all of Indianapolis-based Kroger, Gardis & Regas.
Attorney Sidney Powell, who filed a suit that alleges “massive election fraud” in Wisconsin, has amended her filing to drop a request for security footage from a Michigan facility and a plaintiff that never granted her approval to be listed.
A full copy of the Trump suit can be found on Urban Milwaukee.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Vos Withdraws Subpoenas, Ends Gableman Probe - Henry Redman - Aug 30th, 2022
- Judge Blasts Gableman Probe, Deleted Records - Henry Redman - Aug 17th, 2022
- Vos Fires Gableman, Ends Election Probe - Shawn Johnson - Aug 14th, 2022
- Judge Orders Gableman To Pay $163,000 In Legal Fees - Rich Kremer - Aug 2nd, 2022
- Prosecute 2020 Fake Electors, Advocates Demand - Erik Gunn - Aug 1st, 2022
- Trump Calls For Nullification of Wisconsin’s 2020 Election - Henry Redman - Jul 12th, 2022
- Legal Fight Over Gableman Probe Keeps Growing - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2022
- Back In the News: Fake Elector Scheme Dogs Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2022
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
- Gableman’s Office Held in Contempt of Court - Madeline Fox - Jun 10th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here