Judge Rejects Challenge to Election Grants
Conservative group argued against cities accepting private grants for election activities.
A federal judge has rejected an attempt by a conservative group to block private grant funding awarded to five Wisconsin cities to help run elections during the pandemic.
U.S. District Judge William Griesbach ruled Wednesday that there was nothing in the law that prevented the cities of Green Bay, Kenosha, Madison, Milwaukee and Racine from accepting more than $6.3 million in private grant funding.
A group of Wisconsin plaintiffs, who organized under the name “Wisconsin Voters Alliance,” sued with the help of The Thomas More Society, a Chicago-based conservative law firm.
But on Wednesday, Griesbach denied their motion to block the funding, ruling that their lawsuit was unlikely to succeed.
“These are all matters that may merit a legislative response but the Court finds nothing in the statutes Plaintiffs cite, either directly or indirectly, that can be fairly construed as prohibiting the defendant Cities from accepting funds from CTCL,” Griesbach wrote. “Absent such a prohibition, the Court lacks the authority to enjoin them from accepting such assistance.”
Griesbach noted that more than 100 other Wisconsin municipalities had also been awarded funding from the group.
Griesbach was nominated to the bench by former Republican President George W. Bush.
The Wisconsin Voters Alliance could appeal the ruling, although federal courts are sometimes cautious about making changes to election administration close to Election Day.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Judge Blocks Conservative Lawsuit Targeting Election Grants was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Republicans Attack Zuckerberg Election Grants Again - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here