Wisconsin Canvass of Votes Finished
Results show Biden still leads by 20,000 votes. Trump campaign must decide whether to pay for a recount.
Wisconsin’s 72 counties have finished with their official count of ballots cast during the 2020 general election on November 3rd.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission has received the canvassed results of all 72 counties in Wisconsin. It now has until December 1st to certify the results of the election. After the county canvass, Biden is still leading Trump by more than 20,000 votes.
Christensen said the county is ready for a recount. “Previous recounts have demonstrated that the election process in Wisconsin is extremely accurate. We are confident that any recount would verify the accuracy of the canvass statement submitted today,” he said.
The Trump campaign has until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 17th to request a recount.
On Monday, the election commission announced its estimate that a statewide recount would cost $7.9 million, which the campaign will have to pay before the deadline to trigger the recount.
The Trump campaign has not yet officially called for a recount in Wisconsin. The president and his campaign have regularly claimed that the only way he lost the election was because of voter fraud. To date, there has been no evidence offered to support these claims.
On November 4th, Bill Stepien, Trump’s campaign manager released a statement saying “There have been reports of irregularities in several Wisconsin counties which raise serious doubts about the validity of the results.” He said the campaign would request a recount.
The $7.9 million for the recount is “significantly higher” that the cost of the recount in 2016, the election commission said. The higher expenses come from “the need for larger spaces to permit public observation and social distancing, security for those spaces, the higher number of absentee ballots, a compressed time frame over a holiday, and renting high-speed ballot scanning equipment.”
Since the election, there have been a number of lawsuits filed around the country by the Trump campaign and its allies and supporters, which have met with little success.
In Wisconsin, a lawsuit was filed last week by three men alleging voter fraud in largely democratic counties that sought to invalidate votes. Less than a week after filing, the three plaintiffs voluntarily withdrew their suit.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Legal Fight Over Gableman Probe Keeps Growing - Shawn Johnson - Jun 30th, 2022
- Back In the News: Fake Elector Scheme Dogs Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2022
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
- Gableman’s Office Held in Contempt of Court - Madeline Fox - Jun 10th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: The Bradley Foundation’s Election Deniers - Bruce Murphy - Jun 7th, 2022
- The State of Politics: ‘Telling The Truth’ Led to Knudson Resignation - Steven Walters - Jun 6th, 2022
- Gableman Election Review $220,500 Over Budget - Henry Redman - Jun 2nd, 2022
- Another Judge Rejects Challenge to 2020 Election Grants - Shawn Johnson - Jun 1st, 2022
- Gathering To Spread the Big Lie - Henry Redman - May 25th, 2022
- Judge May Fine Vos in Gableman Open Records Case - Shawn Johnson - May 20th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Legislature Refuses to Change Absentee Vote Counting Law - Nora Eckert - Dec 5th, 2020
- Supervisor Martin Thanks Election Commission for Successfully Completing the Recount - Sup. Felesia Martin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Completion of Partial Recount in Wisconsin - Josh Kaul - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
Read more about Presidential Recount here