Appeals Court Blocks State Restaurant, Bar Rules
Court says appeal against Evers’ restrictions by Tavern League will likely succeed.
Wisconsin’s public health restrictions on bar and restaurant capacity have again been blocked, this time by a state court of appeals.
In a 2-1 ruling Friday, the court reissued a temporary injunction in the case, ruling that plaintiffs were likely to succeed in their appeal.
Gov. Tony Evers‘ administration issued the restrictions on Oct. 6, citing a surge in COVID-19 cases that had made Wisconsin one of the nation’s hotspots.
While Palm’s order included myriad exemptions, it limited businesses like bars and restaurants to 25 percent of their usual indoor capacity.
The order took effect on Oct. 8 and was originally scheduled to end on Nov. 6.
The Tavern League of Wisconsin filed a lawsuit against the order on Oct. 13, arguing it would lead to “economic ruin” for its members.
The Tavern League also argued that the order violated the May decision from the Wisconsin Supreme Court that struck down the state’s “Safer at Home” order. In that decision, the court’s conservative majority ruled in that decision that future public health orders from the DHS must be issued as emergency rules, a process that effectively gives the Legislature veto power.
So far, the handful of Wisconsin judges who’ve heard this case have sent mixed signals.
The first judge to hear the case, Sawyer County Judge John Yackel, sided with the Tavern League almost immediately after the lawsuit was filed, issuing a temporary restraining order that blocked the limits on crowd capacity on Oct. 14.
After the case was reassigned, Barron County Circuit Court Judge James Babler sided with the Evers administration, reinstating the limits gatherings on Oct. 19.
The Tavern League did not appeal that ruling, but a new group of plaintiffs did. They include The Mix Up, Inc., a bar and grill in Amery, northwest of Eau Claire, as well as Liz Sieben, the business’ owner. They also include the group Pro-Life Wisconsin and its president, Daniel Miller.
The attorney for The Mix Up, Inc., Misha Tseytlin, is a former Wisconsin solicitor general who served in the state Department of Justice under former Attorney General Brad Schimel. As a private attorney, Tseytlin has worked extensively for GOP lawmakers in a wide array of high-profile cases.
Friday’s 2-1 ruling from Wisconsin’s District 3 Court of Appeals again blocked the administration’s limits and set an expedited schedule for a full appeal. Judges Mark Seidl and Thomas Hruz formed the majority opinion while Judge Lisa Stark dissented.
Evers issued a statement on Twitter after the ruling promising to fight the decision.
“I’m once again asking folks to rise above tonight’s ruling, stay home, and mask up so we can get through this weekend and this pandemic together,” Evers said. “This crisis is urgent, folks. Please stay home.”
Eventually, the case will likely be decided by the Wisconsin Supreme Court, although it’s unclear what justices there might say.
Wisconsin’s COVID-19 outbreak has not improved in the weeks since the order was issued only to be twice-revoked by the state’s courts.
On Oct. 6, the seven-day average for new COVID-19 cases was 2,346, which was near a record high. There were 853 COVID-19 patients in Wisconsin hospitals.
By Friday, the seven-day average for new COVID-19 cases was 3,470. The number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 had also grown to a record high 1,243.
As of Friday, the DHS reported that since the pandemic began, a total of 1,745 Wisconsinites who contracted COVID-19 had died.
Editor’s note: On October 8th, the City of Milwaukee announced it would be following it’s own health order as it viewed it as more restrictive than the state’s.
Appeals Court Blocks Wisconsin’s Restrictions On Bar, Restaurant Capacity was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Milwaukee County Announces New Policies Related to COVID-19 Pandemic - County Executive David Crowley - May 9th, 2023
- DHS Details End of Emergency COVID-19 Response - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 26th, 2023
- Milwaukee Health Department Announces Upcoming Changes to COVID-19 Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 17th, 2023
- Fitzgerald Applauds Passage of COVID-19 Origin Act - U.S. Rep Scott Fitzgerald - Mar 10th, 2023
- DHS Expands Free COVID-19 Testing Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 10th, 2023
- MKE County: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jan 16th, 2023
- Not Enough Getting Bivalent Booster Shots, State Health Officials Warn - Gaby Vinick - Dec 26th, 2022
- Nearly All Wisconsinites Age 6 Months and Older Now Eligible for Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 9th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Burden Remains Stable - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
One thought on “Appeals Court Blocks State Restaurant, Bar Rules”
i wonder what it will take for bars to acknowledge they are dangerous places to be. i wonder what it will take for people to realize drinking in a group is a dangerous activity. maybe the thought is, i’ll get sick but it won’t be bad because i’m young, i’m tough and it’ s not that bad. the worst part in all of that is the thoughtlessness that goes with that behavior to their family, friends and co-workers.