Jacob Blake Speaks from Hospital Bed
“Nothing but pain,” but “stick together… Change your lives out there."
Jacob Blake says he’s experiencing “nothing but pain” as he recovers from being shot seven times in the back by a Kenosha police officer, and he urged supporters to appreciate their lives and stick together in a video statement from his hospital bed.
“Your life, and not only just your life (but) your legs, something that you need to move forward and move around in life, can be taken from you like this,” Blake says in the video, snapping his fingers. The one-minute-long statement was shared on Twitter by Blake’s attorney, Benjamin Crump.
Blake’s family has said he will likely never walk again as a result of his injuries from the shooting, which happened Aug. 23 after police reportedly responded to a call from a woman who said Blake had violated a restraining order. Police say they attempted to use Tasers on Blake before one officer shot him seven times. The shooting, which was captured on video and viewed by millions of people on social media, is under investigation.
— Ben Crump (@AttorneyCrump) September 6, 2020
“Please, I’m telling you, change your lives out there.”
Blake’s shooting came three months after the police killing of George Floyd on May 25 in Minneapolis sparked a nationwide protest movement. Thousands of protesters took to the streets in Kenosha following Blake’s shooting, and the first days of the protests were marked by property destruction and then violence after an Illinois teen who came to Kenosha as part of an armed militia shot three protesters, killing two of them. Protests have been peaceful since Aug. 26.
Kenosha quickly became the center of the national political conversation. In the past week, both President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden visited Kenosha, making the city and authorities’ response to the shooting part of each of their political pitches.
In the video, Blake, 29, calls on his audience to “stick together, make some money, make everything easier for our people out there. There’s so much time that has been wasted.”
‘Change Your Lives’: In First Public Statements, Jacob Blake Speaks From Hospital Bed was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- No Federal Charges For Officer That Shot Jacob Blake - Madeline Fox - Oct 8th, 2021
- Federal Officials Close Review of the Officer-Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake - U.S. Department of Justice - Oct 8th, 2021
- WisGOP Statement on One-Year Anniversary of Kenosha Violence - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Aug 24th, 2021
- One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting Kenosha Seeks Answers - Isiah Holmes and Henry Redman - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Kenosha Activists Arrested During Protest of Jacob Blake - Henry Redman - May 6th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Wisconsin Police Donated to Officer that Shot Jacob Blake - Jenny Peek and Corrinne Hess - Apr 16th, 2021
- Kenosha activists respond to tonight’s Officer Sheskey announcement - Leaders of Kenosha - Apr 13th, 2021
- Kenosha Police Department Statement on Officer Rusten Sheskey’s Return From Administrative Leave - Kenosha Police Department - Apr 13th, 2021
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here