Evers Calls for Special Session on Policing
In wake of Kenosha shooting calls for legislative session on police accountability, transparency.
The governor had originally proposed the package of bills in June, following the police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. Monday’s order comes after Kenosha police shot Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, multiple times in the back on Sunday. On Monday afternoon, Evers said he’s received no information indicating Blake was armed.
“Frankly I should not need to call a special session when people across our state from the streets of my small hometown of Plymouth to the streets of Milwaukee are demanding their elected leaders take action,” he said.
The legislative package would include the following measures:
- The creation of a statewide use-of-force policy.
- A ban on no-knock search warrants and chokeholds.
- Additional de-escalation training requirements for police.
- A requirement for law enforcement agencies to publish their policies online, and for the Department of Justice to publish an annual report on incidents in which officers use force.
On Monday, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, announced the creation of a speaker’s task force on racial disparities, educational opportunities, public safety and police policies.
Vos said he spoke to Evers on the phone Monday morning, asking the governor to allow legislators to address the issue of police accountability through the task force.
In response to the task force, Evers said he believes it’s time for action.
If the Legislature fails to move on these measures, Evers said he’ll do what he can through executive actions. However, he said the Legislature and the executive branch must work together to achieve real change, noting that some of the bills already have Republican support.
Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes echoed Evers belief that the task force doesn’t go far enough.
“This is just another abdication of responsibility. Racial injustice in this state has existed long before Robin Vos was the Assembly Speaker, so for him to just decide now is the time for a task force shows that he is once again late to the party,” he said.
Evers Calls For Special Session To Focus On Police Accountability In Wake Of Kenosha Shooting was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Protest Shuts Down I-94 Freeway - Isiah Holmes - Sep 28th, 2020
- MKE County: Supervisors Want Chokehold Ban Codified - Graham Kilmer - Sep 17th, 2020
- Suspect arrested for pointing and aiming a long gun at protesters - Milwaukee Police Department - Sep 16th, 2020
- Policing Protests Is More Than ‘Law and Order’ - Henry Redman - Sep 16th, 2020
- Protest Day 108: BLM March Goes to East Side, Shorewood - Ethan Duran - Sep 14th, 2020
- Officer Accused Of Reckless Homicide Resigns - Corri Hess - Sep 9th, 2020
- Task Force Seeks Bipartisan Policing Reform - Laurel White - Sep 8th, 2020
- Op Ed: No Equality Without Specific Solutions - John Torinus - Sep 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Kenosha Is Charlottesville - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Aug 31st, 2020
- Justice Can’t Wait: Representative Subeck Decries Republican Delays to Justice Reform Package - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Aug 31st, 2020
Read more about 2020 Racial Justice Protests here
- Cop Says He Thought Jacob Blake Was a Kidnapper - Megan Hart - Sep 27th, 2020
- Ex-Madison Police Chief Helping Review Blake Case - Madeline Fox - Sep 22nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Kenosha Officer-Involved Shooting - Josh Kaul - Sep 21st, 2020
- Activists Criticize Tosa PD’s Protest Tactics - Isiah Holmes - Sep 19th, 2020
- AG Decision on Blake Shooting Coming Up - Corri Hess - Sep 17th, 2020
- NLG Condemns Biased and Unprofessional Policing by Kenosha Police and Sheriff’s Departments - National Lawyers Guild, Milwaukee Chapter - Sep 16th, 2020
- Protesters Describe Detention In Kenosha - Isiah Holmes - Sep 14th, 2020
- Evers Might Extend Mask Order - Shawn Johnson - Sep 10th, 2020
- Jacob Blake Speaks from Hospital Bed - Rob Mentzer - Sep 6th, 2020
- Biden Visits Blake Family in Kenosha - Madeline Fox and Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2020
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here