Shorewood Spitter Charged With Hate Crime, Felony For Assaulting Officer
Stephanie Rapkin faces up to six years in jail.
Attorney Stephanie Rapkin has been charged with one count of “disorderly conduct, hate crime,” a class B misdemeanor, and a second count of “battery to a law enforcement officer,” a class H felony, by Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm.
The disorderly conduct charge carries a jail term of up to one year. The felony charge carries a jail term of up to six years and a fine of up to $10,000.
Rapkin’s charges stem from two related weekend incidents in Shorewood. During the first of which Rapkin, who is white, was recorded on video appearing to spit in the face of a black teenager who was peacefully marching down the 4000 block of N. Oakland Ave. on Saturday, June 6th. She was taken into custody that night by the Shorewood Police Department.
After the recording halted, Rapkin is alleged to have shoved one of the protesters, a college student. Following that incident, the Shorewood Police Department arrived at her home and was recorded dragging her away. During that arrest she is alleged to have kneed a police officer in the groin.
“Officer Cody Smith interviewed the defendant on June 6 regarding the spitting incident and she explained that she was a cancer survivor and felt threatened because she was surrounded and they did not have masks on, (The video shows that the defendant did not have a mask on at the time of the spitting incident.)” says the charging document.
Rapkin is also facing a complaint at the State of Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation. Attorney Michael Maistelman submitted the complaint on June 7th. Maistelman says Rapkin engaged in professional misconduct.
Rapkin, 64, is an estate planning and probate attorney who practices out of an office in Mequon. The Milwaukee County Inmate Search does not show her as currently in custody.
Residents of Shorewood, including the village board, have widely denounced Rapkin’s actions. Her arrest marred another peaceful day where two marches made there way through Shorewood and the north shore suburbs with thousands of protesters.
Racism DOES EXIST!!!This woman put her car to BLOCK our protest then SPIT on this young BLACK MAN!!! One of the speakers at that.SHARE so her employer and friends and family can see her TRUE COLORBut BLACKS and BROWN cause "Violent Protest" this woman showed up to a VERY PEACEFUL Protest#MKEPROTEST
Posted by Caress Gonzalez Ramirez on Saturday, June 6, 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Evers Reflects on Year of Pandemic, Protests - Shawn Johnson - Dec 28th, 2020
- The Year of the National Guard - Jenny Peek - Dec 28th, 2020
- Baldwin Questions U.S. Marshall’s Role in Tosa Protests - Isiah Holmes - Dec 19th, 2020
- Op Ed: Vote No on COPS Grant - Markasa Tucker - Dec 18th, 2020
- People’s Revolution Marks 200 Days of Protest - Graham Kilmer - Dec 15th, 2020
- Supervisor Clancy Applauds Activists on 200th Day of Protests - Sup. Ryan Clancy - Dec 14th, 2020
- The “Molotov Cocktail” That Wasn’t - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 23rd, 2020
- City Hall: Police Chief, Alderman Fight Over Use of Canines - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Will BLM Movement Sway State Voters? - Bridgit Bowden - Oct 20th, 2020
- City Hall: Community Groups Propose Changes - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 19th, 2020
Read more about 2020 Racial Justice Protests here
- Statement on behalf of victim Joe Friedman regarding Attorney Stephanie Rapkin’s representation to the court today to have the court remove her case to outside Milwaukee County - Maistelman & Associates, LLC Schwartz - Jul 24th, 2020
- Plenty of Horne: Portrait of a Spitting Shorewood Attorney - Michael Horne - Jun 13th, 2020
- Shorewood Spitter Charged With Hate Crime, Felony For Assaulting Officer - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 12th, 2020
- Protesters Outside the Home of the “Shorewood Spitter” - Urban Milwaukee - Jun 8th, 2020
- “Shorewood Spitter” Taken To Jail After Second Incident - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 7th, 2020
- Thousands March While Attorney In Custody For Spitting In Protester’s Face - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 7th, 2020
Read more about Spitting Incident here