Does “People’s Flag” Need New Colors?
Changing the mustard-yellow sky would make it pop more.
I didn’t like the proposed Milwaukee flag designed by Robert Lenz. Then a neighbor painted a black-and-white version of it on a building, which looked pretty good to me.
At first, I didn’t realize it was an iteration of the Milwaukee flag that hangs outside this house a few blocks away. That flag looks looks muddy to me. Colors are muted and indecisive. Feels beige.
The color is the problem. It just doesn’t seem like a flag that is intended to declare and stand out rather the recede into the landscape.
So I mocked up different color schemes for the flag. Here are five alternatives that brighten and clarify the original design (the mustard-colored one in the middle of the second row).
I am not saying these alternatives are right, are the ultimate solution for a new Milwaukee flag. But since the flag continues to be under review, most lately with a recommendation by the city Arts Board to create a new design contest for a flag, we are getting a lot of discussion of what’s the right way to go for Milwaukee.
So here’s a thought to consider: Whatever flag is chosen should be exuberant and pop at a distance. And if this design by Lenz is to be our flag, the colors should be less subdued.
More about the People's Flag of Milwaukee
- In Public: Does “People’s Flag” Need New Colors? - Tom Bamberger - Nov 19th, 2018
- City Hall: Arts Board Wants New City Flag Search - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2018
- City Hall: How Long Will Flag Debate Last? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2018
- City Hall: Will City Adopt a New Flag? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 2nd, 2018
- City Hall: Council Delays Flag Decision - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2018
- City Hall: All Hail The “People’s Flag” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2018
- City Hall: Will People’s Flag Become Official Milwaukee Flag? - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2018
- All Hail Milwaukee’s New City Flag - Laura Thompson - Jun 15th, 2016
- The Worst City Flag in America? - Michael Holloway - Oct 28th, 2015