Vaun Mayes Released Pending Trial
Sherman Park activist accused of attempting to firebomb police station.
A community activist accused of attempting to firebomb a police station during riots in Milwaukee two summers ago will be released from jail ahead of his trial.
Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Justice alleged that 31-year-old Vaun Mayes and others made Molotov cocktails and were planning to throw them at a police station in Milwaukee’s Sherman Park neighborhood in August 2016. Prosecutors say Mayes was upset with the fatal police shooting of an African-American man, Sylville Smith.
During a detention hearing Thursday, a federal prosecutor argued Mayes was a threat to the public. But Magistrate Judge William Duffin ruled Mayes could be released, with conditions. Defense attorney Robert LeBell said the court got it right.
“The government provided nothing other than bare bones allegations. So, I think the judge saw that and made a decision,” LeBell told reporters outside the federal courthouse in Milwaukee.
Mayes’ friend, Samuel Alford, told reporters the court recognized Mayes’ work with a violence prevention program.
“I think it says that Mr. Mayes feeds the kids. He mentors kids. He helped facilitate a mural being put up in Sherman Park,” Alford said.
The Justice Department said it may ask a district court to overrule the magistrate.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Sherman Park Activist Accused Of Arson Attempt Released Pending Trial was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Sherman Park Unrest
- Sherman Park Still “Warm and Welcoming” - Andrea Waxman - Aug 16th, 2019
- Police-Community Relations Better in Sherman Park? - Edgar Mendez - Aug 14th, 2019
- Three Years Later, Sherman Park Rising? - Allison Dikanovic - Aug 13th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: A Sherman Park Success Story - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Incubator Kitchen Planned for Sherman Park - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 1st, 2019
- Questions Surround Vaun Mayes’ Arrest - Isiah Holmes - Feb 6th, 2019
- Police Relations in Sherman Park Still An Issue - Areonna Dowdy - Jan 7th, 2019
- Can Sherman Park Attract More Business? - Ximena Conde - Sep 13th, 2018
- Vaun Mayes Released Pending Trial - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 9th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves Funds for Sherman Park Project - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 27th, 2017
- Op Ed: Where’s the Change in Sherman Park? - Roy Evans - Aug 27th, 2017
- Crowdfunding: Help Project Rebuild Sherman Park - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Sherman Park Project Moves Forward - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 17th, 2017
- Beyond Sherman Park - Andrea Waxman - Aug 3rd, 2017
- Sherman Park Redevelopment Launched - Graham Kilmer - Aug 2nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Bank for Sherman Park - Jeramey Jannene - May 19th, 2017