City Contractor’s Worker Displays KKK Sign
Contractor whose workers showed their guns now connected to cooler with white supremacist signs.
Another stunning photo of a city contractor job site has emerged. This time it’s not guns being brandished, but a cooler with a Confederate Flag and Ku Klux Klan stickers affixed to it, both associated with white supremacy. The job site belongs to American Sewer Service according to Alderman Robert Bauman, who represents the area where the photo was taken. American Sewer is the same contractor whose employees were photographed carrying firearms last week. Those employees were disciplined, with the one brandishing the firearm reportedly terminated. The city is considering legislation to ban contractors from carrying firearms, similar to regulations for city employees.
“Obviously this contractor has a problem recruiting employees who are comfortable working in Milwaukee,” Bauman told Urban Milwaukee in an interview. He expects a discussion by council members about bringing the contract work in-house so the city could focus on hiring city residents to do it. According to the 2010 US Census, 40 percent of city residents are of African-American descent, while 17.3 percent are Latino or Hispanic and 3.5 percent are Asian, while 37.5 percent are white. It is a majority-minority city, making it a curious place to display white supremacist messages.
The photo was posted to Facebook by Sam Singleton-Freeman as part of a series of images of the job site at N. 25th St. and W. Wells St. Bauman, who lives just blocks from the job site, said “I saw the work going on this morning, but obviously not the cooler.”
Singleton-Freeman’s post says “I ran into this about 2pm today at 25th and Wells. I asked one of the workers who they work for, he said they work for a contractor but he wouldn’t tell me the name of the company. One of the workers had on a union hoodie, too. Black contractors and workers should be getting these jobs, not Klan supporters.”
Department of Public Works‘ spokesperson Sandy Rusch Walton says the city is still investigating the incident at this time, but did confirm that the cooler is believed to belong to an employee of American Sewer Services.
American Service Service had not returned a request for comment at the time of publication.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- City Hall: Complaint Against American Sewer Dropped - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 6th, 2019
- City Hall: Contractor With Guns, White Supremacy Sticker Again At Issue - Jeramey Jannene - May 16th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Releases Contractor Gun Photo - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 5th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Another Contractor Caught With Gun - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Settles with American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Kills Contracts With American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Stamper Introduces Bill to Fire American Sewer Services - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Ban On Contractors With Guns Passed - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 19th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Embattled Company Leader Absent at Hearing - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 18th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Labor Groups Rally Against KKK Supporter - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2017
Read more about Contractor Gun Debate here