Changes Made to Couture’s Design
Design tweaks address concerns of neighboring 833 East developer.
Mark Irgens, the developer of the office building at 833 E. Michigan St., raised concerns over the design and also the notification he received for the March City Plan Commission meeting. These concerns drove the project before the commission for a second time in two months.
The Couture project, being developed by Barrett Lo Visionary Development, will see a 44-story tower with a three story base that has a parking structure and public park. The development is also part of two other public projects with a future streetcar terminal in its base and a pedestrian bridge leading to the Lakefront Gateway Plaza.
In March the commission requested that Irgens and the development team meet to resolve any issues. After four meetings in that time, Department of City Development Commissioner Rocky Marcoux said, the meetings were “constructive” and, “Did result in some changes.”
The changes submitted by the developers, and unanimously approved by the plan commission Monday, pertain to a triangular piece on the northwest end of of the planned development that connected the Couture development’s parking structure to the 833 E. Michigan building.
The three story piece, shaped like a pizza slice, ranged from 55 ft down to 5 ft at its point. It is being removed from the structure and replaced with a facade similar to the street facing sides of the development.
Chad Griswold, the architect for the project from Rinka Chung Architecture, said this change, “Brings the mass of parking structure further away from 833, so that we create some separation between the two buildings.”
One floor of the section being removed was going to act as a snow chute for the building. On the second floor a pedestrian bridge between the two buildings is also removed.
Along with seeing minor changes for The Couture’s plan, the project was before the commission Monday to avoid any future snag over another complaint from the 833 East developers.
Marcoux said the developers of 833 called into question whether proper notification was given to them for the March City Plan Commission meeting.
The City Attorney found no error in notification, but, Marcoux said, the city didn’t want to risk the possibility of legal action in the future on the premise of improper notification.
The project goes before the Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development Committee Tuesday.
More about the Couture
- Transportation: City Struggles on Couture Streetcar Extension - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- MKE County: Supervisors Question Couture Project - Graham Kilmer - Sep 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Getting New Signage - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Changes Financing Plan - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 28th, 2019
- Transportation: City Confident Couture Won’t Block Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 5th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - May 27th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - Mar 10th, 2019
- MKE County: County Committee Mollified on Couture - Graham Kilmer - Dec 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Cleared for Takeoff - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Still in Limbo - Graham Kilmer - Oct 21st, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Multiple Tower Groundbreakings in 2018 - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture Seeks Commercial Tenants - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Couture Sewer Subsidy - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture’s Surprise Sewer Being Moved - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves The Couture - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 18th, 2017
- Changes Made to Couture’s Design - Graham Kilmer - Apr 10th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Second Lakefront Tower Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Transit Center Tower Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 8th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Goodbye Downtown Transit Center - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture is Finally Happening - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2016
- New Front Door for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2013
- County Threatened With Lakefront Lawsuit - Dave Reid - Jul 24th, 2012
- Photo Gallery: The Couture Press Conference - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2012
- The Chatter: Abele vs County Board — Again - Bruce Murphy - Jul 12th, 2012
- 44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 11th, 2012