Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident
"The criminalization of Black bodies has to stop, and the police must be held accountable for their abusive treatment towards Sterling Brown, who was attempting to comply with police instructions."
“The criminalization of Black bodies has to stop, and the police must be held accountable for their abusive treatment towards Sterling Brown, who was attempting to comply with police instructions. In this instance, a parking issue that could have been taken care of with a simple ticket or request to move the vehicle escalated because of an officer’s lack of respect for a Black man. A slap on the wrist is an insult to the people of Milwaukee – the officers involved should be relieved of duty. Police officers who have shown an inability to remain calm and respectful when confronting someone over a parking violation should not be entrusted with the power and authority that comes with being a Milwaukee police officer.
Supervisor Nicholson is the First Vice Chair of the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors and serves as chair the Committee on Economic and Community Development.
More about the Sterling Brown Incident
- City Attorney Shifts Blame to Sterling Brown - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2018
- Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 29th, 2018
- Op Ed: Jim Crow and Urban America - Dr. Robert S. Smith - Jun 25th, 2018
- Brown Files Suit Against Milwaukee Police - Ximena Conde - Jun 19th, 2018
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Sup. Marcelia Nicholson
"Right Wisconsin owes all MPS students an apology. I stand with them in demanding one."
"The Urban Ecology Center's investment in Washington Park will benefit county residents for years to come."