Statement of Attorneys for Cameron Murdoch
MILWAUKEE—The Attorneys for Cameron Murdoch issued the following statement today:
“Cameron Murdoch was a victim of a violent police assault on June 2, 2020. As the videos and photographs clearly show, a law enforcement officer planted his knee on Mr. Murdoch’s neck while forcefully striking him after he was wrongfully detained. He sustained injuries to his person and property.
“Mr. Murdoch’s constitutional rights were violated and he will be pursuing any available claims to the full extent of the law.
“Mr. Murdoch was a peaceful demonstrator who was exercising his First Amendment right to protest and assembly. It was not after curfew, he was not acting violently, and he did not pose a threat to anyone. The police statement about what happened is inaccurate, as video and photographic evidence demonstrates.
“We appreciate the Milwaukee Common Council’s joint statement yesterday, indicating they want answers. We appreciate the Mayor’s statements today. Cameron deserves answers, our community deserves justice, and Milwaukee deserves better.”
Attached are two photographs of the injuries sustained by Cameron Murdoch during this violent, unnecessary arrest. Here is a link to the video of the assault as shown on Fox6 News. Here is a news story from the Journal Sentinel.
- Community Trust in Police Is Broken - Corri Hess - Aug 6th, 2020
- Coalition to March on the DNC Responds to Biden’s Decision to Stay Home - Coalition to March on the DNC - Aug 5th, 2020
- MPD Defends Tear Gas Use In New Video - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 5th, 2020
- Milwaukee Police release video detailing the use of chemical agents during six civil disturbance incidents - Milwaukee Public Schools - Aug 4th, 2020
- This Weekend’s Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 31st, 2020
- The Idea Activists and Police Agree On - Henry Redman - Jul 30th, 2020
- Protest Day 62: March Honors Ernest Lacy, Died in MPD Custody in 1981 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 30th, 2020
- For Members Only: Last Call for Virtual Q+A With Rep. Bowen - Maddy Day - Jul 29th, 2020
- Statement on meeting with community activists - Ald. Nikiya Dodd - Jul 29th, 2020
- City Hall: Council’s Police Reform Wish List Grows - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 28th, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here