Statement by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick on WI Supreme Court Victory Against Gov. Tony Evers
‘Today’s decision by the Wisconsin Supreme Court was a victory for the rule of law and the separation of powers.’
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL (March 31, 2021) – The Wisconsin Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down Gov. Tony Evers’ statewide mask mandate, ruling that the Democrat exceeded his authority by issuing the order. The decision was a result of a lawsuit filed by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick, who argued the governor did not have the power to repeatedly declare an “emergency” – and enforce state-wide mask mandates and business restrictions – without approval by the legislature.
The following statement is by Jeré Fabick and can be used for attribution. If you have any additional questions, please contact Heartland Institute Vice President and Director of Communications Jim Lakely at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 312-731-9364.
“Today’s decision by the Wisconsin Supreme Court was a victory for the rule of law and the separation of powers. This case was never about partisan politics or masks. Instead, this challenge was brought to ensure that the governor exercise his emergency powers lawfully, something of interest to all citizens of Wisconsin.
“A governor is simply not permitted to continue declaring a state of emergency without legislative approval. This case ensures that future governors—regardless of party and regardless of the reason—must comply with the limits conferred on them by the emergency powers statute and must seek approval from the Legislature to extend a state of emergency declaration.”
The Heartland Institute is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1984 and headquartered in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Its mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. For more information, visit our website or call 312/377-4000.
- President Larry Miller and Vice President Tony Báez Oppose Standardized Testing During the Pandemic - Milwaukee Board of School Directors - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 626 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 21st, 2021
- New State COVID-19 Testing For Schools - Erik Gunn - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 805 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces $50 Million to Support Kids’ Learning Opportunities, Mental Health - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Doubles Down on Toxic Vote Against American Rescue Plan, Tells WI Voters They Didn’t Deserve Direct Checks - Protect Our Care Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Governor Evers, DHS Announce More Than $175 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing in Schools - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 20th, 2021
- Senator Johnson Admits “Stand(ing) in the Way of Getting Checks to Everybody” - Opportunity Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Robin Vos Must Stop Spreading Vaccine Doubts Online - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 373 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Court Watch: Why Court Voided Evers Emergency Order - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 5th, 2021
- Statement by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick on WI Supreme Court Victory Against Gov. Tony Evers - Heartland Institute - Mar 31st, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Hyperpartisan Supreme Court is Endangering the Public - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Gov. Evers’ Multiple Emergency Declarations Violate Law - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hesselbein Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Emergency Orders - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Mar 31st, 2021
- Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Mar 31st, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Supreme Court Decision - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Mar 31st, 2021
- State Supreme Court Overrules Evers’ Emergency Powers - Laurel White - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here