Ortiz-Velez Resolution Supporting Fentanyl Testing Strip Legalization Adopted by County Board
“Everyone should be concerned that between 2015 and 2020 the number of overdose deaths involving fentanyl in the county went from 8% to 73%,” said Supervisor Ortiz-Velez.
Possessing fentanyl testing strips is illegal under current state law for both community members and first responders. Without access to testing strips drug users risk overdose from the otherwise undetectable presence of fentanyl.
“Fentanyl testing strips can be used to detect the presence of fentanyl in a substance and prevent accidental overdoses,” Supervisor Ortiz-Velez said. “Law enforcement officers, emergency medical technicians, and firefighters are often among the first at the scene. They’re the ones who might encounter expected overdoses, and the ability to ascertain if fentanyl was involved will help them do their job.”
Community leaders including TEAM HAVOC and Milwaukee Heroin Diaries founder Rafael Mercado, God Touch Ministries pastor Marty Calderon, and State Senator Lena Taylor showed enthusiastic support for this resolution.
Supervisors Willie Johnson Jr., Eddie Cullen, Ryan Clancy, Steven Shea, Sequanna Taylor, Joseph J. Czarnezki, Priscilla Coggs-Jones, and Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson co-sponsored the resolution and understand the importance of our State Legislature taking up this issue.
- MKE County: House of Correction Starts Opioid Treatment Program - Edgar Mendez - Sep 24th, 2021
- Memorial Remembers Victims of Opioid Addiction - Edgar Mendez - Sep 2nd, 2021
- Ortiz-Velez Resolution Supporting Fentanyl Testing Strip Legalization Adopted by County Board - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Jul 29th, 2021
- Baldwin Calls For Rejecting Purdue Pharmacy Bankruptcy Plan - Isiah Holmes - Jul 27th, 2021
- County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson Applauds National Settlement in Opioids Lawsuits - County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson - Jul 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Resolution Supporting Fentanyl Testing Strip Legalization Advances - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Jul 19th, 2021
- State May Get $65 million in Opioid Settlement - Shamane Mills - Jul 9th, 2021
- Opioid Abuse is Overdose ‘Russian Roulette’ - Edgar Mendez - Jul 2nd, 2021
- Milwaukee Legislators Push Legalizing Fentanyl Test Strips - Graham Kilmer - Jun 28th, 2021
- Two California Men Charged with Conspiring and Attempting to Distribute Sixteen Kilograms of Fentanyl and Fourteen Kilograms of Cocaine in the Milwaukee Area - U.S. Department of Justice - Jun 22nd, 2021
Read more about Opioid Crisis here