Milwaukee County Clerk George Christenson Rejects Invalid Subpoena
MILWAUKEE – On Friday, September 3, County Clerk George Christenson announced that he will not appear before a state Assembly committee, and asserted that the subpoena he received last month was invalid. The subpoena, signed by Representative Janel Brandtjen, (R-Menomonee Falls) demanded that he appear before the state Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections on Sept. 7 and bring with him all ballots cast in the Nov. 2020 presidential election and other election-related materials.
Clerk Christenson has reviewed the subpoena with Milwaukee County Corporation Counsel to determine its legitimacy, as it was not signed by the Assembly Speaker or Assembly Chief Clerk as required by state law.
Clerk Christenson released the following statement on the subpoena and future investigations into the November 2020 election:
“The subpoena issued by Representative Brandtjen is invalid. Because this subpoena is not valid, I will not be appearing before the Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections on September 7.
“Milwaukee County’s elections are transparent and fair. We have proven this fact on numerous occasions. We conducted our regular post-election canvass and audit. In November, we conducted an extensive and highly publicized recount of the presidential election. Most recently, we participated in the Legislative Audit Bureau’s election audit. These inquiries have consistently shown that there were no major instances of fraud or irregularities in how Milwaukee County administered the November 2020 election.
“Now Speaker Vos has approved $680,000 in taxpayer money to conduct yet another investigation into the election. We will respond to any lawful requests for information over the course of this investigation. If former Justice Gableman would like us to participate in his investigation, my office is happy to sit down with him to educate him on how elections work.”
Clerk Christenson has served as Milwaukee County Clerk since 2017, where he oversees the Milwaukee County Election Commission.
- Will Donors Punish Legislators Pushing Election Lies? - Melanie Conklin - Sep 14th, 2021
- Gableman Request For Election Data Questioned - Laurel White - Sep 14th, 2021
- Republican Schools Colleagues on Election Lies - Melanie Conklin - Sep 12th, 2021
- GOP Election Probes ‘Bad Faith Efforts,’ Bipartisan Group Says - Laurel White - Sep 8th, 2021
- Politicians attack voters’ freedoms and use taxpayer dollars for election review scams - League of Women Voters of Wisconsin - Sep 7th, 2021
- Back in the News: Brandtjen Looks Foolish on Election Audit - Bruce Murphy - Sep 7th, 2021
- Taxpayers Funding Gableman’s Travel - Melanie Conklin - Sep 5th, 2021
- Milwaukee County Clerk George Christenson Rejects Invalid Subpoena - George Christenson - Sep 3rd, 2021
- Republicans Divided Over Election Audits - Melanie Conklin - Sep 1st, 2021
- County Clerk Christenson: “Our Elections are Fair, Transparent, Accurate, and Secure” - George Christenson - Aug 6th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here