Jewish Community Calls for United Response Against White Supremacists
This is a moment in which our nation, our elected leaders, and all citizens must decide what kind of community we want.
The Jewish Community Relations Council of the Milwaukee Jewish Federation is outraged by the white supremacist activities that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia, over the weekend. The hateful rhetoric of white supremacist participants and the violence that injured dozens and claimed the lives of two police officers and Heather Heyer demonstrate what happens when hate goes unchecked.
The rally was the worst in more than a decade. The image of white supremacists chanting anti-Semitic and racist slogans while carrying military grade weapons was chilling, and must be denounced in the strongest possible terms. We draw inspiration from Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe, who said in a press conference that he had a message for “all the white supremacists and the Nazis who came into Charlottesville today: Go home. You are not wanted in this great commonwealth.”
This is a moment in which our nation, our elected leaders, and all citizens must decide what kind of community we want. We must unite to declare, forcefully, vocally, and unequivocally, that white supremacy, anti-Semitism, racism, and all forms of hatred are anathema to American values and not welcome in our community.
We join with the people of Charlottesville and people of good faith around the country standing strong against hatred, coming together in grief, and praying together for peace.
- Op Ed: Sensenbrenner Asleep on Charlottesville? - Julie Henszey - Aug 21st, 2017
- APB For AG: Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel Shamefully Silent on Donald Trump’s Coddling of White Supremacists, Nazis - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 18th, 2017
- Brad Schimel still hasn’t disavowed Trump’s Charlottesville comments - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 17th, 2017
- Speaker Vos Statement on Thursday’s Session - Wisconsin Assembly Speaker Robin Vos - Aug 16th, 2017
- US Rep. Moore Calls for the Removal of Donald Trump as President of the United States - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Aug 15th, 2017
- Jewish Community Calls for United Response Against White Supremacists - Milwaukee Jewish Federation - Aug 15th, 2017
- Rep. Jimmy Anderson Calls on Governor Walker to Forcefully Denounce White Nationalists - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Aug 15th, 2017
- Milwaukee County Supervisors Condemn Terrorist Attack in Charlottesville - Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors - Aug 14th, 2017
Read more about Charlottesville Virginia Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Jewish Federation
Announcing the Milwaukee Jewish Federation Journalism Prize for Tolerance and Democracy