Greater Milwaukee community brings home another win for basic needs
Match Day 2013 raises more than $2.8M for food and shelter agencies
Thanks to the generosity of thousands in southeastern Wisconsin through the area’s second Match Day event, $2,802,003 was raised to support 21 area food and shelter agencies.
The special online giving event, which was coordinated by the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, raised $1,879,653 from 5,064 individuals to support 21 basic needs organizations. Foundation donors contributed $164,350. Those grants, as well as each gift made online on March 14, were proportionately matched with money from a $750,000 pool. The Greater Milwaukee Foundation and many of its donors, Brewers Community Foundation, Faye McBeath Foundation, United Way of Greater Milwaukee and other local funders contributed to the pool. In addition, the Brewers Community Foundation also contributed $8,000 for this year’s Golden Ticket promotion. The result was a total of more than $2.8 million.
“As president of our community’s foundation, I want to once again thank everyone who took the time to generously donate to help our neighbors through Match Day,” said Ellen Gilligan, president and CEO of the Greater Milwaukee Foundation. “It is overwhelmingly wonderful to see the ongoing compassion and commitment of our community to those in need.”
Highlights from the 24-hour event:
- The first two gifts – $25 to Sojourner Family Peace Center and $10 to Salvation Army – were made 5 minutes after the event started at midnight
- A total of 7,282 donations were made through matchdaymke.org on March 14
- Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin raised the most of the participating agencies – 603 individual donors contributed a total of $345,945
- Through the Golden Ticket promotion, made possible by the Brewers Community Foundation, an additional $1,000 was added to eight different gifts, randomly selected throughout the day. Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin received $2,000, Hope Center received $1,000, The Women’s Center received $1,000, the Milwaukee Rescue Mission received $1,000 and Hunger Task Force received $3,000 through the promotion
- Through contests run on the Match Day website and through Facebook, a total of 28 people won prizes generously donated by the Milwaukee Brewers and Time Warner Cable
The Brewers Community Foundation, Time Warner Cable, Clear Channel, Clear Channel Outdoor, The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, OnMilwaukee.com, and 88Nine RadioMilwaukee generously contributed in-kind support and prizes given to donors who participated in Match Day.
Advocates of Ozaukee, Center for Veterans Issues, Community Advocates, Daystar, Family Promise of Washington County, Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin, Food Pantry of Waukesha County, Friends of Abused Families, Guest House of Milwaukee, Hebron House of Hospitality, Hope Center, Hope House of Milwaukee, Hunger Task Force, Milwaukee Rescue Mission, Pathfinders Milwaukee, Repairers of the Breach, Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, Sojourner Family Peace Center, The Cathedral Center, The Women’s Center, and Walker’s Point Youth & Family Center.