Current openings make no sense, and the public deserves answers
Statement from Alderman Michael J. Murphy July 17, 2020
Today the Health Department provided its “gating” update on where Milwaukee stands in terms of the COVID-19 pandemic and public health.
The information provided by MHD is confusing as it makes clear that “as long as we remain in Phase 4, schools are not permitted to hold in person sessions” (this pertains to any school that is located in the City of Milwaukee, public or private).
However, in the same piece the MHD notes that city bars and restaurants can be open, as long as they maintain certain capacity limits and safety protocols. Additionally, day care operations can also be open, if certain conditions are met in accordance with the MHD.
And bars and restaurants – frequented mostly by younger people roughly in their 20s and 30s – are spreading locations for COVID-19. Yet in the city we are allowing bars and restaurants to be open.
So this begs the question: Why are these places open, and where is the health/science data that says they should be open?
We seem to be keeping some businesses open at our own risk while we appear far from meeting the gating requirements that will allow for schools to open for in-person classes.
The health and welfare of our children is always priority number one, and I believe we need clear and coherent information from the Commissioner of Health and Mayor Barrett that will address the inconsistencies that I have raised.
We can do better and we MUST do better if we are to ever have a chance of getting our kids back to school and our workers back to work.
- WI Daily: 662 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 7th, 2021
- In New Interview, Ron Johnson Parrots Tucker Carlson’s Vaccine Lies - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 7th, 2021
- WI Daily: 667 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 6th, 2021
- UW System campuses preparing for return of precollege and youth programs this summer - University of Wisconsin System - May 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 639 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 5th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Ron Johnson Threatens Republicans - Bruce Thompson - May 5th, 2021
- WI Daily: 721 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 4th, 2021
- DHS Connecting Vaccinators with Groups Wanting On-Site Vaccination Clinics - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 349 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 3rd, 2021
- State Capitol Reopens To The Public - Henry Redman - May 3rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Michael Murphy
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy March 22, 2021